Making this work and other questions.

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Making this work and other questions.

Post by Mikado14 »

Ok, here is a question for this new board.

Why when I click on a link it redirects my page instead of opening a new window?

Ok, here is another.

Is there a way to change the user view as with the other?

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
kevin.b
The Navigator

Re: Making this work and other questions.

Post by kevin.b »

With the posts I just made in the general section, when I went to preview ,to test the links before posting, it didn't allow me to go back to the preview, it wiped it off, annoyingly.
kevin
fibonacci is king
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

another stupid question:

Who is the registered user Google(Bot) and MSN(Bot)?

Showing my computer ignorance here.

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

Mikado,

I noticed that the links go straight through. If you want to click on a link, right click and open in a new window.

Kevin, it may depend upon the browser. I'm using Netscape Navigator 9.0.0.5.

Before you sign in, you may lurk as hidden. That may be the registered user Google (Bot) and MSN (Bot). Or it may be spiders (bots) searching through the forum.

Mikado, I don't know what you mean about change user views. But you can change your profile and the views as before under User Control Panel. It is right under the board index link under the graphics at the top of the page, left corner.

Hope this helps!
I like the new colors and it will take awhile getting used to the new look but overall I think it's great!

MagicBill
Speeding through the Universe, thinking is the best way to travel ...
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

Windows XP

Internet Explorer

DSL 1.5Mbaud

Firewall off except for Spyware running

Mikado
htmagic
Senior Officer

Re: Making this work and other questions. Java.

Post by htmagic »

Folks,

Some folks have been complaining of troubles on their machines.
I had trouble one time where I lost a post in the middle of trying to post a response.

My browser that I'm using is Netscape Navigator. Java and JavaScript is turned on.
I'm using McAfee for not only virus protection but for a firewall as well.

Hope that helps!

MagicBill
Speeding through the Universe, thinking is the best way to travel ...
JZimmer
Deputy SysAdmin

Post by JZimmer »

For those having the "dissapearing post" problem, how long from the time you open the message you are posting into and the time you click submit?
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

JZimmer,
Are you a mind reader?
I was just about to post and say that if the message is long, it dissappears, if its short as this is, it appears, lost three today.
kevin
fibonacci is king
JZimmer
Deputy SysAdmin

Post by JZimmer »

Hi Kevin,

Wish I were, I would be making a ton of $$ right now... :lol:

So, the problem may be that their is a timer on how long a window is open before it times out. When that happens, you will loose the original content of the message because you are in essence no longer connected to the server and the data you entered has no place to be sent or stored.

It is a problem that has alwasy existed with a web based application becasue you do not maintian a constant handshake connection to the server the way you do with an active client/server connection.

What I do is open a MS Word document and write any long posts there, then cut and paste the text into the message window when I am finished. This is also a good practice becasue if your machine were to "crash" for any reason, MS Word ( or like word processor application) will save the contents of your document at the time of the failure. It is also a great grammar, spelling and fat finger tool (yep, I surely need that! :oops: )!

Hope this helps, let me know!

Jim
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

Has anyone noticed that the forum keeps track of how many times a post is edited?

We see posters editing but what is it that they are editing? something in or something out?

Just an observation,

Mikado
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Mikado,

In my case my edits are usually correcting my " creative spelling!" but if its more than that I generally try to remember to just put the word edit in there somewhere to call attention to the attention xxxxxthis will show as an edit! xxxx attention ... or deletion.

If it worries you Mikado (about what is happening on that score) why don't you simply ask the person what the reason for the edit was ... in a PM? Perhaps they would have more to share with you on that score. Maybe they just decided that some things should be not discussed publically.

Elizabeth
greggvizza
Senior Cadet

Post by greggvizza »

I edit quite a bit, but it is for the same reason as Elizabeth, mostly grammar, spelling and punctuation mistakes. Quite often, when replying, I will hit the submit button as fast as I can, even if I know there are misspelled words, just to get the post to show up immediately under the one that I am replying to, before someone else beats me to that spot. That way the reply is immediately following the post that it is addressed to. Easier for everyone to follow. I then immediately go back and edit all the spelling and grammar errors. Sometimes I may read one of my posts and feel that a sentence would be clearer if I inserted a comma. Even that is reason enough for me to edit. If I edit content I would type EDIT:

But that is nice to know that the forum package keeps track of that. If something remarkable is found in a 5 year old post, and it has no edits, we can be sure that it was indeed written when is states that it was written.

GV
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

I am editting because if you don't post fast, it zips off into the aether.
Also you cannot preview sometimes as again your post vanish's.
So at the moment I just post , then edit after.
kevin
fibonacci is king
JZimmer
Deputy SysAdmin

Post by JZimmer »

Hi Mikado,

I think I can answer that one for you. Generally, the reason the document is flagged as "edited" is two fold. First, to let you know that you edited you document, so that later if you look at that message you will remenber what you may have changed. Next, to let others know that you changed the contents of a message. This is important because as you have seen, it is possible to read a message, and post on it only to find that what you thought you read had changed.

The same goes for the number of edits. I can't tell you the number of times over the years that I read something and later re-read it (multiple times sometimes); then wondered if I had misread the message multiple times.

Hope that makes sense.

Jim
Rose
Senior Cadet

Post by Rose »

i'm another like Grinder, who may be having troubles with pms, but i don't want to take away from the Caroline group thread so I'm pasting this here.

When I am replying to a pm, do I need to hit submit and then also post reply? before the message is sent. Why do some messages stay in the outbox, while others are moved to the sent box?

rose
Strange travel suggestions are dancing lessons from god.