Chapter 69: How Fast A Fat Pony

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

Griffin

How the hell did you figure out that I am a "grokker" By the way that was the name of a great little piece of search software that came out of a Stanford class project a while back. They got off the ground, were selling packages for $50 that would do desktop interrelational maps of search listings pulled from across five major search engines, and one day my software went dead and the company disappeared.

Some multinational bought 'em out and now all you can get is a version running on the web that won't map for macs and only covers three sources, Google, Yahoo and Amazon. It's almost like somebdy out there doesn't want the "people" to have much web power...HUH ?

flow.... :evil:
Dancing is better than marching
Griffin
Senior Officer

Post by Griffin »

Flow-

I grokked it, of course.

Not HUH? -- GROK!

As ever,

Griffin
greggvizza
Senior Cadet

Google

Post by greggvizza »

I don’t know why I can’t stop using Google when there are better search engines available.

There is a great one that was developed by the computer science professors at Carnegie Mellon University. They originally called it Vivismo, but it has now been renamed Clusty, because it groups all the searches in clusters.

http://clusty.com/

Try typing “Thomas Tounsend Brownâ€
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

Thanks Gregg, I'll try it next search session.

And Griffin...from one Martian hybrid to to another "woerifj,3ioftuhv c3utrhmgc8xuxy4t ufhnsdufhnvb uyefrfvvuf ljkdfjhvmc2457t6ty90--6=6-5"...

Long John Baldry=Leo... Benny Goodman...Buji Woojie Dude !
Live long and prosper.

flow.... :wink:
Griffin
Senior Officer

Post by Griffin »

Long John was about 6'5".

Griffin
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

Under certain circumstances ,and on special days of the year, I'll bet Leo believed that he was 6'6" tall. Meeooowwwrrrr !

flow.... :wink:
Griffin
Senior Officer

LeRoy-Leo

Post by Griffin »

Flow-

LeRoy probably was a Leo. He certainly was a lion, of whatever dimensions. He may be hanging out with Townsend again in a higher dimension, listening to a celestial choir singing Buji Wuji with a heavenly beat.

Griffin
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

antiques and more

Post by LongboardLOVELY »

ladygrady wrote:Smart man. Dumps this information in our lap and then leaves town for the weekend. Figures when he finally gets home we will have all settled down and gotten all talked down.

I don't think so.

I am fascinated by the moves. First to the pretty home on Cornwall street . ( I KNOW that street, in fact I know Leesburg fairly well. Wonderful shops on that main street and Cornwall leads right down to it. I have a friend that runs an antique store on the corner of Cornwall and , I think its called Market street .... or Main ...., no, King?
Are you talking about the Leesburg Antique Emporium, on South King Street? It's near Market

The Asian antiques at another antique shop were way cool too (I don't remember the whole name of that store. It was "Black . . ." something). I seem to remember that the store w/ the Asian antiques was in a historic home. I don't remember what street that was on. Was it Loudoun? King?

It's been years...

Yes Ladygrady, it's too bad you didn't buy back then :x

I'm interested in knowing more about Helen Towt. Really into military strategy? That's something. A Civil War buff? That's really something.

And what was that about the two of them (Helen and Josephine) going to work, when they were out at Montressor?

Was Montressor just a front?
Why did the French lady not like them?
What was her relationship (or history) with Sarbacher?

What's the significance of giving back the box while they had a permanent visitor? not just a coincidence...

Yes the dream and the box are all very interesting. But even more so are these unanswered questions about the women...

See, Andy, you shouldn't tell your wife that a new chapter is up. I should be doing my homework!!

Oh, and a big 'hi' to everyone I haven't talked to lately.

LongboardLOVELY
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ~ Albert Einstein
Griffin
Senior Officer

Field of Dreams

Post by Griffin »

kevin.b wrote: I skipped through the chapter looking at the pictures, when I saw the open lawn area , I just thought, good place to land a saucer?

Dr Brown will probably have made light of the visit , as a dream, so that his daughter was not too fixed upon it, she was possibly not to know?
Kevin
Yes, Kevin, you perceptive fellow. I had a similar thought when I saw that picture of the open pasture/field. A veritable field of dreams.

Dream on!

As ever,

Griffin
James Barrett

perceptive

Post by James Barrett »

Griffin and Kevin and hello LBL,

Precisely the thought that hit me and its strange isn't it that in the messages that flashed before this chapter the " field of dreams" subject had already come up a couple of times.

I like looking at relationships so the distances shown between Dr. Sarbacher, Mrs. Stanford and the rest of the Brown family ( including now , Helen I would guess.) are important and will tell a further story.

Odd to me that a person would warmly greet Dr. Sarbacher and then be cool toward the people he is obviously sponsoring in this relationship. hmmmmmm Paul said she greeted Sarbacher speaking French but then switced to English for Dr. Brown and that she treated Linda particularly with a certain aloofness. Well, maybe there are reasons for all of that.

Perhaps Dr. Sarbacher had a child at the school????? Perhaps thats how Mrs. Stanford treated all the children at the school? Perhaps Mrs. Stanford had a naturallly standoffish nature that came into play???? Maybe she was actually quite shy and just didn't want anything to do with strangers, though then she seems to be in the wrong business being the owner of a school and camp.

No I tend to think that she was protecting her past while honoring one of the people who probably had quite alot to do with it. Sarbacher must have cut quite a swath in the resistance movement if earlier chapters are accurate. Mr. Twigsnapper? More information on this?

And already, though Paul seems reluctant to spell it out any further. Its not too hard to see the relationship. I can smell the fine french perfume of the French Resistance during the war. Sarbacher, Bergier ( remember the other name that gentleman went by was Jacques Cornellion and it was his cottage that Helen and Linda are pictured ... up to their knees in the Potomac River, looks like.) So even though we are seeing this association through Lindas eyes and its a foggy focus, the major players are all right there if we just look.

Mrs. Stanford obviously had that one daughter which Paul mentions as Lindas playmate. Perhaps she was concerned maybe about her old life bleeding over into her new one. Yet .... whatever was needed here and her association Sarbacher was too strong for her to ignor. Maybe she worried about her own families safety and this " Brown family" coming to stay for awhile represented a worry which she reflected in the way she treated Josephine, Linda and Helen. no word actually on how she treated Dr. Brown though obviously with him happily designing this " apartment over the carriage house" he had a free rein and all kinds of encouragement.

Maybe she was just reacting the way she would have if she had been in the resistance herself years before. Maybe it was important for her to maintain distance ...............

Or maybe she was just French enough to be naturally rude. JDB
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

Good thoughts

Post by Victoria Steele »

Damn JDB .... Good thoughts.

I just want to know why a young, fit, intelligent woman takes three years out of her life to stay with a family and live so far out in the country that saucers could land in your backyard undisturbed. Thats what I would like to know.

Oh Paul .... The lady had " naturally curley hair" I would bet. You could dump water on her head I think and it would still curl. I hate that. I'll bet she never spent a moment curling her hair.

A leather raincoat? Matching purse? Thats not cheap. Maybe it was the only really good thing that she owned? Somehow she doesn't strike me that way. Did she come to live with them because she had maybe had her heart broken, her bank account stripped, was penniless and had to turn to old friends from her hometown? No ......

That doesn't wash. Linda herself called Helen an " Amazon" who obviously was fit and maybe dangerously aware of military tactics. Probably because she delt with tactics all the time. Sorry folks but this one sounds and smells of french perfume too ..... or at least she would be the spy who came in from the cold. A Russian Bank playing spy who came in from the cold to " sit in" with the Brown family for three years.

later in her life the family seemed to require the services of a super serious fellow named Charles? As I see it .... Helen is just an earlier version of the sullen fellow that Morgan noted as the families protector in the early sixties. I am right aren't I Paul. Paul .... oh, right. Not home.

Frigginggreat chapter. Much to munch on. Fields of Dreams for sure. Nobody can be happier than a young girl on a fat pony with lope room. Victoria
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: Good thoughts

Post by Mikado14 »

Victoria Steele wrote:
That doesn't wash. Linda herself called Helen an " Amazon" who obviously was fit and maybe dangerously aware of military tactics. Probably because she delt with tactics all the time. Sorry folks but this one sounds and smells of french perfume too ..... or at least she would be the spy who came in from the cold. A Russian Bank playing spy who came in from the cold to " sit in" with the Brown family for three years.

later in her life the family seemed to require the services of a super serious fellow named Charles? As I see it .... Helen is just an earlier version of the sullen fellow that Morgan noted as the families protector in the early sixties. I am right aren't I Paul. Paul .... oh, right. Not home.
I would have thought, my dear Victoria, that you would not forget the women.

Mikado

Oh, and JDB is probably more on the mark about the French lady than you think......an ohm..a component in the circuit
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
greggvizza
Senior Cadet

Re: Good thoughts

Post by greggvizza »

Victoria Steele wrote:later in her life the family seemed to require the services of a super serious fellow named Charles? As I see it .... Helen is just an earlier version of the sullen fellow that Morgan noted as the families protector in the early sixties.
So you are thinking that Helen was their body guard. If that is the case, that is very cool. Especially for the 1950’s era that it took place. Hollywood didn’t even catch up to that female commando thing until the 1980s. Thinking Sara Connor in Terminator 2. Or 1990’s with Trinity in the Matrix. Helen was very ahead of the trend.

GV
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

yes, what I am thinking

Post by Victoria Steele »

Yes, that is exactly what I am thinking. For some reason I believe that it was important for Dr. Brown to remove his family from the Washington area. He apparently was not there with them so it would only make sense to supply somehow someone who would fit into the situation. A character like Charles ..... with a woman alone and a nine year old kid would have been " innappropriate" but a young lady ( with Navy ties and hometown ties) would have fit in perfectly. Especially if she worked at it.

And look at that picture of Helen Towt ... both of them actually. There is a serious person. And believe me, I do "remember the women" as Mr. Twigsnapper would say ... over and over. I think Josephine needed the feminine companionship and Linda it seems really appreciated the knowledge that Helen seemed so capable of supplying.

Not for one second do I believe that this lady was what she might have presented to her extended family ( who thought of her as what .... their spinster Aunt Helen? )

I think of that picture of Josephine in Washington just before the war ....when she was actually a "divorced woman" ..... about the same age maybe as Helen was when she joined them in Leesburg maybe? I would consider them both dangerous and effective women and I'll just bet that Josephine was as good with that game as Helen was. Mr. Twigsnapper? Can you tell us?

So thats my answer to your response. I agree with you that Hollywood took a long time to catch up with the realities of the age. I believe that there were probably quite a few intelligence officers who looked alot like Helen Towt during that particularly dangerous time.

The question is. Why was she living with the Browns? Really. And why does there seem to be this enormous " French Connection"? Victoria
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

protection in place

Post by twigsnapper »

Griffin,

You might especially enjoy this.

Helen was exactly as Victoria has figured her. She also had a few other things to do when she was living in Leesburg.

While Dr. Brown was gone Helen handled a certain flurry of communications between the offices in France and the office of a Judge in Leesburg by the name of Lucas Phillips.

You might not find his name listed in your files but you will when you start looking into early investigations of " Flying Saucers" and look hard for connections to a fellow who happened to love Leesburg also .... George Marshall.

Have you been doing your homework well enough to see some connections yet? If not, stay tuned to Pauls Chapters. twigsnapper

"There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit." -- George Marshall"