Chapter 61: Will You Please Come With Us

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
grinder
Senior Officer

presuming?

Post by grinder »

Regarding the picture. Are you presuming the figure next to Dr. Brown on the beach is a woman because you have other shots of a lady wearing white trunks maybe ?... but if no one had told me it was a woman I would have thought maybe a man ... though ... who could really tell from this shot?

How does Linda know that her Mother took the picture? Unless of course it is marked on the back or she herself knows who that figure is and just isn't saying?

Dr. Brown does look thin, but he seems in good spirits. He apparently is feeling secure and happy so I am sure that Josephines good attention have done alot. Still, he does look thin, or gaunt ... as you put it. Thanks for the picture. More of them as you go along? Especially of Dr. Brown and his family. Wish we had more of Mr. Twigsnapper, but I can guess that ain't going to happen?

Would I assume, should I assume that somewhere, decidedly not asleep on the warm sand, there is another individual who is still acting as a guardian over this family? This is something that it looks like Josephine came to accept but I wonder how hard that was? the constant reminder that there was an armed individual nearby? And that would have been someone who was NOT relaxed and not particularly able to enjoy a pretty Southern California beach day! How hard would that be?

And while you are "rumaging" through old photos I wondered if you have come across the Charles Miller character yet? I realize that he doesn't come to live with the family for another nearly twenty years , but he sort of represents the "other side" of the situation here, don't you think.

still chewing on that chapter. Really great! More questions soon!

Oh LBL your Colonel Illya Tolstoy was in the Army but he was also during those years 1943 ( and during this expedition) was assigned to the OSS (the outfit that after 1947 sort of morphed into the CIA.) I assume that his partner was an intelligence officer too. In case you were wondering what a couple of Army officers were doing in Tibet in 1943. I am going to use a phrase Paul says was a favorite of Morgans. "agenda" I am sure they had an "agenda" and yeah, I'll bet they were Caroline operatives too. Double agendas!

Tolstoy certainly was more than just a passing conversationalist when he met up with Morgan years later. "Once you are really in" I assume he told Morgan ... "you are in for life." And Morgan accepted those terms I guess. When I just wrote that I had the flashback of the scene that Paul wrote about our Mr. Twigsnapper O'Riley and the encounter with Dr. Brown. "Join me for life?" Was that what Dr. Brown said, wasn't it? Isn't that the same deal. Although I guess at that time Mr. Twigsnapper didn't need the extra time to make the decision.

I wonder how many of us would be prepared to do that? What could Dr. Brown possibly have said to make that much of an impression? Mr. Twigsnapper? grinder
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

I find this link informative, but the fact that its bob wonderland makes me wonder if bob met alice in wonderland?
http://www.bob-wonderland.supanet.com/journal_10.htm
kevin
fibonacci is king
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

Ilya and Brooke in Tibet.... Janoshek's previous comments

Post by LongboardLOVELY »

Grinder wrote: Oh LBL your Colonel Illya Tolstoy was in the Army but he was also during those years 1943 ( and during this expedition) was assigned to the OSS (the outfit that after 1947 sort of morphed into the CIA.) I assume that his partner was an intelligence officer too. In case you were wondering what a couple of Army officers were doing in Tibet in 1943. I am going to use a phrase Paul says was a favorite of Morgans. "agenda" I am sure they had an "agenda" and yeah, I'll bet they were Caroline operatives too. Double agendas!
and
Janoshek wrote: Count Illya Tolstoy was a captain in the OSS early on. He was sent with another man to Tibet to allow an air base to be built so the burma road could be bombed.
Janoshek's comments are from one year ago, June 16, 2006 in the Chapter 38 forum discussion thread. So there's the reason why Dolan and Ilya Tolstoy were in Tibet.
I think I elaborated on Janoshek's comments in that thread also.

So Grinder, you see, in this rabbit hole, there are a lot of interesting pieces of string. I agree with EHD, I think if I keep pulling, the button may just fall off!!

Anyways, I know that your head is spinning. Mine sure is :)

Take care of yourself! Don't fall too far into that hole...

LongboardLOVELY
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ~ Albert Einstein
grinder
Senior Officer

things connected

Post by grinder »

You know. they say its a strange and sometimes small world but in the would of spies and counterspies especially ... I'll just bet that it turns into a pretty small group and they knew each other or at least knew OF each other.

Thanks for the Janoshek remark. That makes sense. Scouting for an airbase. Of course I THINK that they were just supposed to be on a diplomatic mission. huh. right.

Yeah! How many buttons can we get to fall off? Oh , theres a loose thread (no such thing) over there! grinder
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

fine gold watch

Post by twigsnapper »

Actually folks, the two, Tolstoy and Dolan ,were delivering a gold watch (which had been purchased in the fine gift store of the Mayflower Hotel in Washington) to a young boy in Tibet. Along with a variety of messages also of course. I understand that fellow still carries it.

Paul, I mentioned the above to help you see that the Caroline Group had connections that sometimes were laid well in advance of their need to be called upon. Someday perhaps the above will be an example to you. But there are other situations too. The two men by the rainbow fountain are a classic example. They are exactly who you suddenly thought they were. How did you put it? " Out of the blue". It was not for Linda to see . It was for you.

Every day the head of the FBI ate by the Window in the restaurant of the Mayflower Hotel. You learn alot about a person and what his moves are going to be when you know little things like that. When a situation develops where you have to stay ahead of a man like that , it helps to know him. The Caroline Group was quite capable of staying lengths and years ahead. twigsnapper
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: fine gold watch

Post by Paul S. »

twigsnapper wrote:Actually folks, the two, Tolstoy and Dolan ,were delivering a gold watch (which had been purchased in the fine gift store of the Mayflower Hotel in Washington) to a young boy in Tibet. Along with a variety of messages also of course. I understand that fellow still carries it.
And speaking of Tibet... would that "young boy" recognize a certain carved ivory walking stick if he were to see it? I wonder how that would be arranged...??
The two men by the rainbow fountain are a classic example. They are exactly who you suddenly thought they were. How did you put it? " Out of the blue". It was not for Linda to see . It was for you.
"Out of the blue" is like "being in the right place at the right time." Now, if only there was way to actually DO that.... providence is a funny thing, ya know?
The Caroline Group was quite capable of staying lengths and years ahead.
There's a gold mine in that statement, kids. Who wants to pick up the first shovel?

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Radomir
Senior Cadet

Young Tenzin

Post by Radomir »

Young Tenzin must have been very enchanted by the gift of the watch, and the nature of the gift-givers, to have treasured it for so many years.

R.
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

ah,

Post by twigsnapper »

Radomir,

A wise man recognizes treasures. Sometimes they are wrapped in gold. Sometimes in pink dresses. twigsnapper
Radomir
Senior Cadet

treasures

Post by Radomir »

That they are, sir, that they are.

R.
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: Young Tenzin

Post by Mikado14 »

Radomir wrote:Young Tenzin must have been very enchanted by the gift of the watch, and the nature of the gift-givers, to have treasured it for so many years.

R.
There is that Tibetan connection I have been barking about and yes Radomir, you beat me to the punch in posting. Now, there is also one more heavy issue to discover....what are the roots of the tree.

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Radomir
Senior Cadet

Lately

Post by Radomir »

Mikado mon ami, I hope I am catching your meaning, but lately I am getting the feeling that the roots go all the way back to the last time we almost utterly destroyed ourselves, the wars of Rama. Like that's where the Sanskrit connection really comes from.

Or it could be that the roots sprouted more recently from those who discovered, via the study of those ancient Sanskrit tales, that there were fearsome things to be guarded against, and vital things to be preserved, that could never be entrusted to any one institution or government.

That's another book that should some day be written, a book of hope, duty and lineage.

(Talk about yer multi-generational projects!)

R.
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: Lately

Post by Mikado14 »

Radomir wrote:Mikado mon ami, I hope I am catching your meaning, but lately I am getting the feeling that the roots go all the way back to the last time we almost utterly destroyed ourselves, the wars of Rama. Like that's where the Sanskrit connection really comes from.

Or it could be that the roots sprouted more recently from those who discovered, via the study of those ancient Sanskrit tales, that there were fearsome things to be guarded against, and vital things to be preserved, that could never be entrusted to any one institution or government.

That's another book that should some day be written, a book of hope, duty and lineage.

(Talk about yer multi-generational projects!)

R.
Radomir,

No on one and Yes on two.

Mikado

(haven't given Paul an oblique answer lately)
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

oblique

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

I love that word. Not better than "anomalous" but its right up there.

If a person stood with those three gentlemen and shot in line with the line of the grass , paralell with that line ... do you think you would be able then to see the Washington Monument? My guess still , is , yes. But the photographer chose to not include it in the shot. Anyone find that just a tiny bit odd? Like those who live in Washington never bother to go to the memorials, maybe guys who live there all the time don't bother to put the monument in their background? Or maybe it was intentional .... just to make us work for it!

And regarding the scruffy grass. I happened upon a modern picture of a grassy expanse of the mall today and it was worse! The Park Service and volunteers apparently get the chore of looking after the place and it suffers from alot of use.

I hope that someone else will step forward who knew this place well in the 50s and can help confirm even stronger our, looks like ... pretty good suspcions that it was Washington DC. I understand that the Korean War ( Conflict??? <g> broke out in June of 1950. Just trying to keep the times in mind.

Great find Paul. Congratulations! Elizabeth
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

the agency wife?

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

A short time ago LBL posted this quetion

"Maybe Twigsnapper's travel partner was not just an agent; maybe like in the movie "Spy Game" the partner was ... I forgot the term.. Someone you 'use' to get where you need to get to. Like a fake wife. I'm not sure of the term. Help??!! "

Wasn't that term " Agency wife?" ... in that particular case I think they were employees of the CIA... in this case on short term assignments! ..... (though I have thought that maybe Twigsnapper availed himself of some good company which could also be some assistance? Wouldn't at all put it past him.)

I probably am spending too much time in this area but its so much fun I hate to let go. Perhaps the best thing to do is just throw down one of those special red flags and say to myself .... "don't forget this spot ... there is a heck of a story here." And come back to it someday for another project.

Another project?

I'd better not mention that to Paul though, until he is finished with THIS book. That would be sort of be like a husband saying to his wife in the delivery room ... in labor ..... "Hey, lets have another kid!"

Fear not Paul. I'll go sit down. but you guys have to admit ... some of this background material is really wonderful and needs to be captured. Flemming just didn't do these guys justice. All I can say. Elizabeth
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

Re: Young Tenzin

Post by LongboardLOVELY »

Radomir wrote:Young Tenzin must have been very enchanted by the gift of the watch, and the nature of the gift-givers, to have treasured it for so many years.

R.
Ok, I'm a little confused. So when Twigsnapper said "young boy", and Radomir brings up Tenzin did ya'all mean Tenzin Gyatso? The Dalai Lama??
At that time (1943) Tenzin Gyatso was 8 years old.

Is this what you are saying? Of course I may be on the wrong track anyways.

So what ya'all are saying is that Ilya Tolstoy and Brooke Dolan were bringing the Forthcoming Dalai Lama a gold watch? And some messages??

Wow, that's a loaded statement. Grinder, you paying attention?? What did I say in the Sanskrit thread? Victoria? I'm going to go do something else now. I'm too tired from work to take this all in.

So, ok I've got my shovel, Paul. Where should I start digging first?

LBL
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ~ Albert Einstein