Morgan's Thumpstick

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

The nature of Chinese

Post by LongboardLOVELY »

Mikado,

you asked me:
Mikado wrote:
Okay Linda, I am a little on the dumb side when it comes to English let alone Chinese <g> but help me out here. A homonym, at least I thought, were words that sound alike and are spelled alike, unlike a homophone which sound alike but are spelled differently but all have different meanings. You said "homonym", does that mean in Chinese that they have homonyms just as in English or are we talking a homophone? Obviously, I can't speak any of it or read it so how about helping me to understand.
Homonym can be divided into Homophones and Homographs. Homophones are words that sound alike, whether or not they are spelled differently. Homographs are words that are spelled identically, but may or may not share the same pronunciation. Homonym, however, is used more frequently than homophone, a technical term, when referring to words with the same pronunciation without regard to spelling. Homonym is also used as a synonym of homograph.

So I meant homonym (in a broad sense), but as you'll see below, some Chinese words are homophones, and some are homographs (but not in the sense that the words are pronounced differently) ~

So to help you understand a little, I'll give you a few examples:

1] The number 4, spoken in Mandarin, sounds like the word for death. It's in the intonation. The two words do not look anything alike. So usually, we don't use the number four in anything. Also, the number 8, sounds like one of the words for prosperity. So we use the number 8 a lot. For example, my brother used the number 8 in his mobile number six times.

2] My parents have a Chinese symbol hanging in the stairwell from the garage to the main house. The symbol is in a square, and hanging upside down. The word is szhi, which sort of means happiness, but also it has many other meanings and it's hard to explain in English. The significance of hanging the symbol upside down is that the word for upside down (Dao), also sounds like the infinitive " to arrive". So "happiness is here" or "luck is here" or "satisfaction with your life is here" - is hanging in my parents' garage.

If you look up Chinese symbols and homonyms, you'll find tons of these examples, but these two are personal to me.

3] The word for bat in chinese is Fu which is also the word for "Good Luck". I believe in this case, the two words not only sound alike, but are written alike. Sometimes you'll see five bats painted in a symbol or on a tattoo. You may see four bats circling around a fifth or four bats circling around the stylized Chinese symbol for longevity. The five bats stand for the Five Happinesses: wealth, long life, peace, cultivation of virtue (or sometimes good health), and a good death. The word for five is Wu. Wu Fu, reads Five bats, but it also reads Five Happinesses. Sometimes, Wu is also used to mean without, but then I think that's a different word (symbol).

You also asked:
Mikado wrote: Linda, read my question. I was asking what "you" felt they meant. No education, no google searches, just what you felt inside, what came into "your" mind when you saw them. What emotion did you feel and what was stirred in your soul. If you felt nothing then that is something.
What I felt at first was, man, Morgan has really been around. That sort of 'equipment' isn't something you can just get by walking into Walmart or Costco! Ok, I said that tongue in cheek :)

Honestly, Mikado, when Andy told me that Paul had put up a picture of the Thumping Stick, I was a little apprehensive about looking at the photograph. It was a little frightening to know that by looking at the photograph, it will make this whole story more than just a ...story. That there would be something tangible to it all. That Morgan, Mr. Twigsnapper, and all the "interesting" things we've discussed so far are all very real.
(things like, Brain Printing, Remote Viewing, Seeing into the future, Lifters, UFO's, the technology, the danger...)

When I looked at the photographs for the first time, last night, I felt a sense of exhilaration and peace and at the same time a sense of adventure. My first impression was that the Buddhas' (or one Buddha, in different stages) in the photographs were traveling, going somewhere.

Did you ever see the movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon? Remember the end when she jumped off the cliff? My mother said that in many Chinese stories, the significance of a jump like that is more than suicide. It's a token to those who have achieved some level of enlightenment. I honor that circumspection, and feel that the symbols marked around this cane is intended to illuminate that same road.

That's what I felt the symbols mean, what "stirred in my soul". 8)

I would really like to know where and maybe from whom he got the "Thumping Stick". I'd also like to know if he speaks other languages and is studied in languages or ancient linguistics, other than Russian. That would seem very likely.

Sorry everyone for the long post, but it was a question that required detailed answers. :)

LongboardLOVELY
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ~ Albert Einstein
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

boy Linda,

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

You are one hard act to follow!

I am so glad that Mikado asked you the questions that he did, both the technical side and the emotional response. So I thank him for instigating this response from you and I especially thank you Linda for responding in such a detailed fashion.

I know that I am one for saying " English just doesn't cover it" and here I can see that Chinese would probably be a much better choice of language for such varied meanings .... I think most of us have no idea the shades of meaning involved .... and English ( as I am also fond of saying ) usually forces you to express yourself in terms of black and white , either /or , wrong or right. I can see that in Chinese you have a wonderful variety of expression for that wild and unchartered area "in between".

I can help you with the number of languages that Morgan spoke, but I quess that we will have to wait for Paul to get home to find out if my memory is correct. We talked about it once and I think that Paul said Morgan spoke ELEVEN languages. Sheeze. I can barely muddle through this one. I do know that most all of his "bricks" who travel with him speak a variety of languages , the minimum I think being six.

And I am pleased that Paul made the note that the "bricks" traveling with Morgan were not "ugly" .... Just ... "determined looking" perhaps. From the pictures I have seen of Charles Miller I think he also took his job very seriously.

I am going to have to reread you message several times just to get a better understanding of a complicated subject. You sure explained it well and I thank you for that because I was getting really lost at the post!

And I do agree with you Linda. The "thumpstick" lends its solid message to this project. And I think thats why its meant to be hanging where Paul can see it as he writes. Elizabeth
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

More Chinese fun

Post by LongboardLOVELY »

I finished making oatmeal chocolate chip cookies this evening and had 1 or 4 (just kidding, Andy, I just had 2).

So I have sugar in me, and I have to eliminate this energy somehow.

I've thought of a few more homonym examples for Mikado. I wonder if it's the same in Japanese, Vietnamese, and other asian languages?
I know that in Hebrew there's double and triple entendre's with homonyms.

Anways, here you go, Mikado :) ENJOY

1] If you're eating a pear and a friend or family member wants some, you can't share it. If you cut a pear in half, you are doing a "fen li" ( "li" is pear, "fen" is to split it up), which also means "split apart". If you split a pear with someone, you're splitting apart from them ~ amazingly, my mother who is not superstitious at all, is quite adamant about this one. So I never eat pears at her home. I couldn't finish it all, and it's like apples, they don't keep overnight.

2] If you are at a Chinese banquet and fish is served, you always serve the meat of the fish from the underbelly of the fish. Never EVER turn the fish upside down. The word for turning the fish upside down "fan yu" also means "overturning prosperity".

3] Also at New Year, you never finish the fish "yu" because you want some left over to signify surplus "yu". (sounds the same, different intonation, different symbol). This is also why there's a lot of fish decorations around Chinese New Year.

Fortune cookie says:
eat fish, but don't hog it all.

Linda B
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ~ Albert Einstein
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

absolutely amazing

Post by Victoria Steele »

LBL, you are absolutely amazing.

I had to laugh about the cookies. Yes. I laughed out loud. Seems I have heard that conversation before in another context, regarding men! Ah! cookies and men..... what would we do without them? (Honest! I just had two!)

What an intricate understanding you have to develop.

This is a Texas girls interpretation of what that must be like.

Its like trying to match a fish to a blood hound and then trying to ask both ...." Now tell us about the mustard and relish that your owner ate on his hot dog yesterday and spilled on his clothes which he has left in his laundry hamper." The fish is going to go WHAT? BUT the bloodhound is going to go " the scent is about 12 hours old, the mustard was dark dijon and it was the whole pickle that he cut up not pickle relish out of the jar. He wiped his fingers on his jeans which he still has on. and he walked out to feed the horses early this morning and thats why I am getting the scent of sweet feed on top of the mustard. He also fed the damn fish on the way out the door because theres some of that obnoxious fish food on top of the mustard too but that was before the sweet feed for the horse." And the fish would repeat WHAT?

Thanks so much LindaB for reminding us that we don't know nearly enough in this world! I love it! Victora
grinder
Senior Officer

underwater

Post by grinder »

And my only answer to all of that is in defense of the fish and what he knows and that can be summed up by what his response might be " Well, you guys might be so smart .... try living underwater with me for a day.<g>

grinder
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: The nature of Chinese

Post by Mikado14 »

LongboardLOVELY wrote:Mikado,

You also asked:
Mikado wrote: Linda, read my question. I was asking what "you" felt they meant. No education, no google searches, just what you felt inside, what came into "your" mind when you saw them. What emotion did you feel and what was stirred in your soul. If you felt nothing then that is something.
What I felt at first was, man, Morgan has really been around. That sort of 'equipment' isn't something you can just get by walking into Walmart or Costco! Ok, I said that tongue in cheek :)

Honestly, Mikado, when Andy told me that Paul had put up a picture of the Thumping Stick, I was a little apprehensive about looking at the photograph. It was a little frightening to know that by looking at the photograph, it will make this whole story more than just a ...story. That there would be something tangible to it all. That Morgan, Mr. Twigsnapper, and all the "interesting" things we've discussed so far are all very real.
(things like, Brain Printing, Remote Viewing, Seeing into the future, Lifters, UFO's, the technology, the danger...)

When I looked at the photographs for the first time, last night, I felt a sense of exhilaration and peace and at the same time a sense of adventure. My first impression was that the Buddhas' (or one Buddha, in different stages) in the photographs were traveling, going somewhere.

That's what I felt the symbols mean, what "stirred in my soul". 8)

LongboardLOVELY
Thank You Linda, I just wanted to know what you felt, perhaps a little personal but I thank you for the insight into your soul.

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

OK, going now, honest.

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Mikado, Radomir, Lindab, Trickfox .... everybody

Thanks so much for the good wishes on this trip. Clearing the gate here in a few minutes and don't know when I will be posting back. You will hear first from Paul I am sure.

Andrew! Hang in there. Anybody have any technical questions ? Andrew has volunteered to step up to the plate if hes needed.

But all of you guys (and ladies) are a force unto yourself! I will be thinking of you and of course wondering about where your path is taking you BUT I am going to unplug too. Leave Paul and me breadcrumbs please so we can find you again!

And again! Please! To those of you out there who are thinking of joining! Now is the time! I issue a blanket welcome wagon statement for all of you ahead of time ... thanking you for joining in our discussion.

You can see how endlessly interesting the different comments are here and the more the merrier! As flowperson says " Dancing is better than marching" so remember when you post that this is a dance .... and we are all willing dancers.

Langley said that what was fascinating about Pauls work is that it can all be double checked and cross referenced and I encourage all of you to do that! In fact for those of you who haven't had the opportunity to read all the chapters to #60 so far I encourage you to do that and please take notes! Interested in what you think when we start up again!

If anyone discovers something where we have made an error I count on you all to speak up! Please! staying on the mark is very important to Paul and also to me. and sometimes we do need those extra eyes out there.

So I am " gone outta here" ........ Love all of you .. be good ( relatively speaking) Elizabeth
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Sneaking Back

Post by Paul S. »

Elizabeth Helen Drake wrote:Langley said that what was fascinating about Pauls work is that it can all be double checked and cross referenced and I encourage all of you to do that! In fact for those of you who haven't had the opportunity to read all the chapters to #60 so far I encourage you to do that and please take notes! Interested in what you think when we start up again!
Shhhh.... don't tell nobody.

We got back Sunday, and over the past two days I've been doing just what Elizabeth suggests. I am printing and reading everything. I'm on Chapter 37 (you all remember Chapter 37... the exploding head chapter... ) and so far have 190 pages printed. Yegads.

I will try to finish tomorrow, but it will probably be Friday. Then I'm gonna start a new thread on "the whole enchilada."

Right now I'm just sorta reeling at the amount of ground covered.... and that's with 23 chapters still to read!

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
grinder
Senior Officer

yeah, well

Post by grinder »

See, if you had been keeping up like the rest of us!!!! <gggg> glad you are home safe, and dry. Now maybe we will have new stuff to talk about/ grinder
Radomir
Senior Cadet

Thanking them

Post by Radomir »

Elizabeth Helen Drake wrote:(snip)
I can help you with the number of languages that Morgan spoke, but I quess that we will have to wait for Paul to get home to find out if my memory is correct. We talked about it once and I think that Paul said Morgan spoke ELEVEN languages. Sheeze. I can barely muddle through this one. I do know that most all of his "bricks" who travel with him speak a variety of languages , the minimum I think being six.

And I am pleased that Paul made the note that the "bricks" traveling with Morgan were not "ugly" .... Just ... "determined looking" perhaps. From the pictures I have seen of Charles Miller I think he also took his job very seriously.
(snip) Elizabeth
It's been slow these past two weeks, so perhaps folks will indulge me if I follow on this fragment from EHD's post above.

I have been thinking a great deal about these people on Morgan's core travelin' team, and the extended team that must be behind them somewhere handling everything from HR to operations. All of them, as EHD says, taking their jobs pretty seriously.

I was especially thinking of them this Father's day, as we were sitting amongst the spectacular Redwoods, enjoying our annual family cookout. From what we have been told of Morgan's history, we can pretty well conclude that most if not all of the members of this organization have left the family option behind. They labor in anonymity, serving purposes and a public which are almost completely ignorant of their existence.

Sure, there are benefits. It's both exciting and meaningful to be zinging around the countryside taking on matters of great import. But it's also extremely hard work. I wonder how often any of them have ever been in a position to hear the words "thank you" from those they ultimately serve? This would be very rare, I think, because of necessity the work must take place almost entirely unnoticed in the background.

Take for instance learning to speak that many languages, just that piece alone takes years of training. Even if you grow up in EU or in any multicultural setting you might start out knowing four languages or so. All the other languages must be picked up by hard work and practice in-context. And then you have to work to keep them current or they begin to fade from memory. Each of the team also has developed other specific and complimentary skills and knowledge gained by painstaking work over time which qualified them to be part of that extraordinary ensemble.

Then there's the part about risking and sometimes losing their lives, in service, while also giving up a family life to do so. We don't even ask our military to do that. In fact we do a great deal to support our military families (having grown up in one, I would know).

So getting back to the time this weekend up in the Redwoods, at the family cookout. The kids and dog were playing down by the creek, it was a fine time. As I was sitting at the base of one of these giant trees, watching the campfire smoke rise through the leaves, I got to realizing it is important to me to find a way to say thank you. If only we could invite them into the embrace of family and community from time to time--just briefly. To let them recharge and to let them know we--at least we few who know about them--truly appreciate their work and sacrifice. And we wish it could include the embrace of family.

So in this fantasy thank-you, we wouldn't even have to know their names. Just invite them to show up at your cookouts from time to time, at places all across the country or around the world, and we'll be sure to have a food and drink for a few (or a lot) more. Or open up our homes to them for a nice square meal complete with kids crawling into their laps begging for story time, no need to call ahead. Even if in reality they can never show up, it might help them at some difficult spot to know the offer was made with them in mind.

My grandfather used to tell stories about some of the worst times in WWII, when they would go through the hills around Naples and bury the young American GI's. He always impressed upon us as a family what we owed to every one of those people who had come over to fight for what wasn't even their country, or their family. He also impressed upon us the importance of gratitude and hospitality. The two things really became one for us, and opening our home to share a meal is one of the deepest expressions of love and thanks in our culture (in many cultures).

So that's the impulse, anyway. I wish it could be so, even as I know it probably can't. But I'm just putting it out there that we are grateful and we thank you, Team Morgan and all those people who support you. Because it's pretty likely if you weren't out there doing what you do, we wouldn't be able to enjoy what we have with our families and friends as we do.

You are invited to drop by any time. The door is always open.

R.
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

Post by twigsnapper »

Radomir,

For Morgans "crew" ... men and ladies included ... I thank you very much for your comments. And Happy Fathers Day to you, a tad late, sorry. twigsnapper
Radomir
Senior Cadet

Everyone

Post by Radomir »

You and they are very welcome. And even though the occasion for my reflection was father's day, I definitely meant to include everyone in my thanks and open invitation, men and ladies as you so delightfully put it.

Warmest regards,

R.
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Whilst following the compte de St Germain about, you cannot help but pick up on the track of a succesion of people, mainly men, but also women, who have had extraordinary powers and spoke many languages, usually twelve3.
One of these is an Englishman known as Peh-ling, in tibet, he seems to just appear all of a sudden , as do many of these people, with vast wisdom and knowledge.
I thought of the stick, as it matchs the area, though there is a keh-lan area in vietnam.
The Keh-lan are a brotherhood in Tibet.
Just a red flag thrown down.
Talking of which a book was pushed my way yesterday, the secret doctrine of the Rosicrucians, velly interesting, velly interesting indeed.
The book is by Magus Incognito, fabulous name?
kevin
fibonacci is king
Griffin
Senior Officer

power stick

Post by Griffin »

Kevin-

Thanks for bringing this forum topic on Morgan's Thump Stick up again as I had missed it.

Some thoughts that may relate-

Morgan's thump stick strikes me, so to speak, as quite a power stick. It looks obviously antique, or at least the cylinders do. It would seem that it was made by/for someone with a spiritual orientation, perhaps even an abbot at a monastery. Various Chan abbots in China, for example, used their own thump sticks to occasionally give a monk a whack to "awaken" him, at least to some degree. The staff or stick also served other purposes. I would think that this is probably from the south or west of China or somewhere in Southeast Asia. Starting at the top, the handle looks like horn and could be buffalo horn, which in the Chinese qigong tradition is considered to be a good qi conductor. I have a buffalo horn massaging tool and also a jade one. Whether bone or ivory, the rest of the cane seems obviously made of material which is also a fine qi conductor. If the material is ivory, I would think that the carver of the cylinders would have used ivory from the tusk of an elephant that had died a natural death, if that could have been determined. The nine sections resonate with the nine higher dimensions referenced in the qigong tradition I'm now practicing. While there may be more than 9 higher dimensions, the number 9 is considered a number of sacred completion in that any multiplication of it resolves to 9 again (2x9=18; 1+8=9 etc.). This may signify an ascent through the 9 higher dimensions or heaven worlds with the cane's inherent qi energy field to help propel you on your upward pathway.

As to its use as a weapon -- I doubt that it was originally created for that purpose, at least exclusively. But that it could be an effective weapon is beyond doubt. It would be qi charged and could amplify whatever qi the wielder may have developed. Stick and cane fighting arts are highly developed in Asia. I personally would not want to wield this cane as a defensive weapon, but if I had to I would want to have no doubt that I was acting on the side of dharma. That would be the case in any use of martial arts, but particularly with such an obviously spiritually attuned object.

These kinds of treasures do eventually find their way into the marketplace and Morgan may have discovered it there and recognized its significance and value. But it may have come to him as an appreciative gift -- quite an honor. I cherish a gift from my martial arts master in Japan. It's a wooden sword made out of a particularly good qi (ki) conducting wood. Even though I didn't practice the sword art as such, I have worked with this sword as a chi extender, both in the manner of a sword and a short staff.

Thanks again Kevin, Paul, and Morgan for the opportunity to see and appreciate such an interesting piece of art.

As ever,

Griffin
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Griffin,
If you read back through this set of replies about the thump stick, you will note how I picked up about nine.
To further demonstrate about how we can magnify an invisable force through conducters held in our hands, I recently was dowsing with one rod a lady who appeared to have no field or aura, as I approached her she suddenly jolted and expressed quite a shock, she felt the pacemaker fitted into her, she had it fitted soon after birth, and had never felt it until that moment.
I too was shocked, I could have killed her, through my own ignorance of my actions.
The rod in my hand points to whatever I think of, I was thinking of her, obviously a signal connection is involved?
I do this whilst driving, quite safely holding one rod as well as the steering wheel, the faster I am moving, the better the response, the more positive the signals I am crossing in the matrix.
I can triangulate at speed , better than walking slowly, it's amazing how adept at pinpointing a precise point I am.

The book I found yesterday about rosicrucians is stunning, very bizzare in some of its thinking, but it goes into the seven auras around ouselves, their colours etc, I have a friend who can see the colours.
The book is a first edition 1949, same as me.

Mr Twigsnapper asked me about the rosy cross for some reason, I am beginning to see the picture, maybe the veils are clearing?
kevin
fibonacci is king