Chapter 53 - Good For One Fare

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
grinder
Senior Officer

two man teams

Post by grinder »

I think there were probably many two man teams working for the Caroline Group ( and two women teams!) but its my impression that Dr. Brown would not have been in that sort of situation for very long. I can't see him as a team player. A mentor, maybe. I have thought that was what he was to Morgan for many years. Actually when I think about what has been said I get the impression that Morgan was raised by the whole family maybe at one point or the other. I don't mean the Brown family. I mean the Caroline family. First Dr. Brown and William Stephenson seemed to take an interest in him . And then our Mr. Twigsnapper. So, I wonder, was Morgan somehow vastly different than another "recruit " that the Group might have been cultivating. Or was everyone coming into a certain level treated that way. Its like they knew from the very start that he would be an important member someday. I assume thats what happened.

So, I wondered. does Morgan have someone under his wing now that he is especially hopeful for. He must, if this is to be the " multigenerational Group that someone called it. Just wierd thoughts while waiting for this next chapter! grinder
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

Hi Elizabeth...
Yes, I have eeen this many times myself. Two together. two brothers, not watching what each other does necessarily, but each with their singular role to play out in whatever they're involved in together. They are bound to a common purpose for the good of the whole in the future. A very prevalent theme in mythos way, way back. Think of the half-animal Enkidu and Prince Gilgamesh in the Sumerian epic of Gilgamesh. It also describes what really happens on the inside of complex dynamical systems that are found over time throughout the rest of nature.

I believe we're seeing TTB in Paul's writing as a serial, sequential, friend and cooperator to/with several individuals, aside from Josephine, that are together embarking the world upon a future dynamic adventure that we are just now beginning to realize. Yes...very biblical if you ask me.

flow.... :wink:
Dancing is better than marching
Gewis
Junior Birdman

Post by Gewis »

Effective religious proselytizing also happens in pairs. Look at the phenomenal growth of both the Jehova's Witnesses and the Mormons. They go out in pairs. Mormons have missionary "companionships" where they never leave each other (with some few exceptions) and do everything together.

Police detectives typically have partners as well. In my personal research, I'm discovering that my progress advances considerably faster when I have a partner I'm collaborating with, rather than conducting the research on my own. I think you can likely find similar strengths in parenting where there are healthy marriages. Single parents can still parent effectively, but what a struggle that is!

In that light, it would make sense for the Caroline Group to operate in pairs.
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research!" -Einstein
grinder
Senior Officer

any chance, a headstart?

Post by grinder »

Paul,

Any chance that we can be given sort of an idea of what the next chapter is going to be? This is way too much fun and there seems to be so much momentum here, can we just keep going?

Have you said somewhere already how much longer this next chapter might take? Did I just miss the comment? Am I being pushy? Wheres Victoria? I used to be able to blame her!

Are we following Linda back to school and Morgan ????? wherever Morgan was going?

Or are we following Dr. Brown to his lab in California at Vega? I still don't understand how someone can resign from the Navy, with his kind of credentials (under I guess sort of a cloud of doubt?) and then he pops back up just a couple of months later in a classified area. How wierd is that? and its almost 1943 and still no real mention of the "Philadelphia Experiment" so whats up with that?

Paul says that sound we might hear is Townsend Brown " going black" but he seems to be able to look beyond that' where nobody else has.

I want more!

And it really counts because its the story of a person we can at least try to understand. Paul you have really done your homework on the man! Of course it certainly must help having Linda Brown giving you tips about his personality and certainly the insight of her own personal experiences. It makes for a good solid story that just is so much more than one fact strung onto another impersonal fact. How often do you speak with her? Is she still travelling alot? I know this is an off the wall question which might not get answered but its worth a shot. Do you think that she has taken over where her father left off? Or has she finally walked away from that lifestyle? grinder
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Chapter 54

Post by Paul S. »

grinder wrote:Any chance that we can be given sort of an idea of what the next chapter is going to be? This is way too much fun and there seems to be so much momentum here, can we just keep going?
All I care to say at this point is that Chapter 54 will pick up where Chapter 52 left off... wherever Brown went after he left Josephine, the day after Roosevelt died.

It actually looks like I'll have two chapters, I'll probably put them both on line early next week.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
ladygrady
Junior Birdman

A true love story

Post by ladygrady »

I just took a few moments and re read this chapter. I tried to imagine what it was like for Linda taking the train up to New York City, worrying about the three girls, seeing Morgan again after being apart for months.

Nothing like supercharged sexual energy. And high adventure! Ah, to be twenty again!!!!!!!!

I found the meeting in New York City very similar to the way he met her months later, when she and her family moved up to Philadelphia. Notice the similarities?

In New York he is guiet and sort of standoffish with her when other people are around. I am coming to understand that he is dividing his life now. Between the people who are "on the inside" and those that are not. And he seems to have taken Linda and pulled her to the very inside of his life. In New York he spirits her away to the Statler(?) ( Nice place, been there) and isolates her from the activities there at that apartment. Then when she is there and he has to leave , he obviously "posts a guard" outside her doorway in the personage of this "Juan". I mean . Just look at what he has done here. The man plans everything!

Then months later in Philadelphia he ignors her while another loose end from New York shows up and then later spirits her away for several days of solitude ( and I would imagine, security) out at what Paul says is his family farm.

Odd that the place is totally empty.

Again the planner Morgan has even seen to the flowers and the new decor. Ah , the fellow is a romantic !but he also is showing the effect of the life he is moving into. He has planned everything. Yet it is Linda who pulls the plug on their relationship giving him the freedom that she knew he had to have.

I honestly think that our man Morgan could have gone either way at that point ( a teaching position and a suburban home with Linda and children?) How long could that have lasted? Who knows? Perhaps forever! ... or ..... whatever the road is that he took. I think that he may have tried the first but she was wise enough to know that would have been a poor choice actually for him.

How many women out there have known a man so well I wonder. And done so right by him? Loved him so much? He probably had his share of women after Linda, but I doubt that one got that close to the man ever again. Just my opinion, of course. grady
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

absolutely right

Post by twigsnapper »

Just my comment as an observer. You are quite right of course grady, regarding the ladies in Morgans life and the only one who was on the inside. A person just can not plan everything.

Morgan laughed once about the writer Lermontov. ( A Russian poet actually, what little I know of him I guess the fellow was eventually involved in a duel and shot to death.)

I think that at the time Morgan told me this he fancied himself as that individual, knowing very well what he was bound to be in a serious confrontation with a certain adversary in the future. He could see the problem developing into " Its going to be either him or me." he said. He could see the end result developing. The Russian "fortune-telling soul" he used to call it, which tended to the morbid side of considerations!

But a certain cunning goes along with those Tolstoy genes. And hidden smiles too.

He told me once that ( regarding that friendly/seriously deadly rival ) that if the two of them ever actually came to blows ( which seemed inevitable) that they were both smart enough ( like Lermontovs/ Grushnitsky) to stage the duel properly.

When I asked what he meant he explained that since duels were illegal in Lermontovs time the combatants would line up on a cliffside so that the loser would fall, obscuring the actual cause of the death to the authorities and the winner would not be charged. Such is the form of the co operative actions behind the scenes.

Thank you for reminding me of that moment. And for reminding me that NOT ALL matters of the heart can be so ..... neatly arranged. .............. twigsnapper
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

vacation time

Post by Victoria Steele »

Happens every year, I know. The forum gets slower . People are away or just trying to stay either dry or cool. What a summer! Miss you guys but I understand!

Hey, all you new guys out there. Good time to step on board and start a discussion! Come on in like Elizabeth would say! The waters fine!

I just wanted you all to know, new company or not....... I am still here. The resident pain in the ass. Next Thursday? Huh? Or ......... maybe even earlier???????? or maybe even two at once????? Am I dreaming??????

At one a week, lets see ... estimated 80 chapters .......thats just 19 to go! Can you believe that Paul? " The End" is in sight. (At least until the rewrite ?????) but its close ! You have almost done it. The sixteenth of November????? Party time?????????

Nineteen more weeks of me going Thursday Paul huh, huh? huh?

Victoria
grinder
Senior Officer

questions

Post by grinder »

You always ask when when Victoria. Now its my turn to ask why?

Why are chapters 32, 37 and 42 so much more visited than the other forum sites? I don't get it.

Thirty- two is "Reflections of Biscayne Bay" which has the tag line " First hand reflections from Morgan Meeting Mr X aka Sir William Stephenson aka " Intrepid".Well, I guess that interesting enough sounding to draw some viewers. sorta.

Thirty seven says " Another journey behind the scenes in the Parallel Universe." I don't get it, like I said, why that would have thirteen thousand views .....

Forty-two is Introducing another member of the tribe.? and it has drawn twelve thousand and something.

All the other Chapters generally now are about 3,000 to about 4,ooo ( som as little as under 100 ..... so I don't get why so may people would log in, say on Chapter Thirty=seven? Whats so different about those three chapters?????

I still don't get the difference in the numbers/ Any ideas, anyone? grinder
greggvizza
Senior Cadet

Why

Post by greggvizza »

1. It could be just as simple as timing. Possibly this was the current chapter when a flood of new visitors arrived.

2. Maybe something more mysterious, like the possibility that those chapters contained previously unknown information that the world then descended upon like prey.

Probably the first one.

GV
ladygrady
Junior Birdman

perhaps, but still double

Post by ladygrady »

I thought that too Gregg, that there was simply a "rush" of new visitors, but thats not the way its happened. On a weekly basis there are nearly always twice the visitors to this chapter discussion than to the chapters next to it. For example, so that you will see what I mean

Chapter 32 July 1st was 12926 on July 7th was ( last count 13075) + 149

Chapter 33 July 1st was 5502, On July 7th was 5502 + 69

Good busy times and slow times like this .... the ratio stays the basic same, a little over twice as much as surrounding chapters.

Of course the current chapters always jump ..... but these older chapters have long since settled into their routines. I agree with Victoria. Its just, ODD. And looking at it carefully I am inclined to think seriously about your second opinion. Maybe there is something in those particular chapters that are somehow calling more attention to themselves. Clue the twilight zone music if anyone remembers it! grady
grinder
Senior Officer

reduced to counting on our toes

Post by grinder »

Yeah grady. I thnk thats whats happening. We are into this story so much that when we don't have fresh material we just sort of sit around going .... "now ..... thats strange ".... and believe me , I know of what I speak. This whole experience has been an excercise in discovering odd rabbit holes. And falling into them!

It is odd that that those three chapters seem to be "singled out" for more attention than the others. hmmmm.

Maybe we are just like a bunch of hyperactive kids. We have all been "turned on" ( Thanks a heap Paul! ) and now we just twiddle our thumbs waiting the best way we can , trying to be good, until more of the story shows up.

It does help having a "reading partner" socially. ( Above and beyond the rest of us on the forum) I have discovered because another person sometimes sees things or takes things a completely different way than I would. I encourage that, while we are twiddling! Involve someone else and then talk about this stuff with them! I have found that it helps me! Not quite as dark in this rabbit hole when there is someone going " Hey, did you notice this?" Course I do that all the time with you guys but the personal interaction away from the computer is interesting too. grinder
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Victoria posted the words to this song a year ago, wow?
I can't remember posting about the Egyptian headgear?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbpZpanmnQ

Lapis Lazuli is a rock, rocks have an affinity to that which made them.
Each structure of specific rocks, may conform to that specific structure of space stuff that made it?
Kevin
fibonacci is king
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

rings and things

Post by twigsnapper »

Thankyou kevin for this post. It serves well as a marker to thoughts of that special ring but it also calls attention to something that grinder said in the post here

viewtopic.php?p=7523#7523

and most are better able to understand this rush of enthusiasm for new thoughts when we realize that we are not alone here.

I encourage all of you, maybe Langley and AM especially at the moment to reread grinders post and make the note that his sentiments are as valid today as when he typed up those thoughts.

We all have particular traits, made even stronger when woven into an unusual clothe. twigsnapper
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

I had a piece of mideastern Lapus Lazuli mounted on a piece of brass which in turn was mounted on piece of nickel. The nickel was soldered to the brass with a high content silver solder.

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy