Chapter 44: A Universe Away

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Chapter 44: A Universe Away

Post by Paul S. »

Dear Victoria,

Before you ask.... here's a progress report on the next installment of "Defying Gravity."

The bad news is: It ain't quite ready (but it's getting close).

After the "curtain came down" in chapter 43, it occurred to me that I would have to take a different approach to the material that constitutes "the rest of the story" (aka 'ROTS'). Of course, I no sooner finished that chapter than I had to shift focus to whatever I was gonna do in Las Vegas -- which had the added advantage of also forcing me to find my way through the unwritten portions of the story.

Once the Las Vegas deal was over, I returned to the task at hand, and have been diligently tapping away at the keyboard ever since. I'd hope that I would have a new chapter ready for you today, but I've discovered that there are some ' story structure' issues I have to sort out before I'll know for certain if this "new approach" I'm contemplating is going to work.

So be patient with me. It's possible I'll have something for you by the end of the day today, but don't hold your breath.

The good news is: I think that, once I get going here, the "rest of the story" is going to fall together pretty quickly. Well, relatively quickly. There are still going to be some challenging areas to drill through, but I'm as anxious to see how all this is going to unfold as you are.

Thanks for hanging in there with me...

--PS
Last edited by Paul S. on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

thanking you for that

Post by Victoria Steele »

Thank you for that Paul. Bless your little key tapping fingers and heart.

Its good that you think that the "Rest of the Story" will fall together quickly now that this new format sets and you can put it in place.

The only reason we push on you so hard is that we want to get to ..... 1945 ...(oh boy, Mr. Twigsnapper and Townsend Brown together in a jeep, the little girl in pink, in the mud, did someone say ... the opportunities for a MOVIE scream out) Then there is that quiet gentle scientist pounding on an Admirals desk (Isn't that what you said at the Conference, that Morgan had told you that Townsend Brown had nearly called the Admiral a traitor because of the mole situation, lack of security. I know a little bit about that kind of passion first hand. Its fun to watch ... not so good being on the wrong end of that fist ...) also movie material!

And of course, you know that I want to hear about what happens between Linda and Morgan. I just cannot believe that those two would ever allow themselves to be parted, not actually. The eternal romantic here.

But as far as whatever Hollywood is going to produce out of this .... the saying will ALWAYS be ... "Oh but the book was SO much better!" Victoria
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

traitorous Admiral and other asundries

Post by LongboardLOVELY »

Paul,

two years ago I watched a scene unfold on a teevee show (or maybe it was a movie) where there was purposeful mishandling of sensitive information, just to get the mole flushed out. Then the mole turned out to be working within the research group.

Maybe, there was purposeful action on the part of those at Pearl Harbor? Maybe, they didn't want him (Brown) to be successful? I don't know, it seems odd that someone so high up in the military who would have had years and years of training in keeping secrets, and military covert ops would slip up in this manner.

Also, I am looking forward to the next installment. My favorite subject of controversial discussion these days with husband? Special Relativity; and what we should have for dinner.

LBL
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ~ Albert Einstein
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

intentional?

Post by Mark Culpepper »

So, LBL, You think that the entire Pearl Harbor demonstration might have been a ploy to "smoke out" the mole that someone might have known about beforehand? I am carrying the thread a little further because I think that you might have something there.

I would think that the Carolyn Group , if it was centered around Stephensons network would be perhaps the most well informed of all of the intelligence groups out there. Perhaps they were better insulated from the dangers of moles themselves .... but the British cetainly were not and everything I have ever read in credible historys pretty much say that the US intelligence agencies were "compromised from the first." Thats why the Russians already knew about the development of the atomic bomb before they were even exploded ..... why only a few short years later, they had their own bomb.

So maybe you are right. Maybe "the Carolyn Group" got with the Navy to "uncover" the moles activities. Maybe the entire "demonstration" was just a bait party. Maybe the story of Townsend Brown pounding on the desk was a story generated as smoke so that the mole would think that he REALLY HAD SOMETHING ... WHEN IN FACT .... MAYBE HE HAD BEEN PUT ON THE WRONG TRACK TO START WITH?

The thing that makes me think that we might be right here Linda is the "pounding on the desk" when almost anyone who really knew the man would say that would have been totally out of character for him. Maybe rehersed he would do that but I really think that the man loved the Navy too much to show that sort of disrespect to the office .

When you come up for air Paul, what do you think? I have often wondered why that demonstration occurred in the first place and who set it up. Dr. Brown had "resigned" from the Navy what sort of influence could he have had to set a high level meeting like that up. And Beau Kitselman mentions it in his book "Hello Stupid" but even he doesn't really say who set the thing up. So maybe it wasn't a scientific demonstration as much as a trap.

Then . to carry the idea forward. If you have uncovered one layer of spies, isn't it important to keep their higher ups from realizing that they have been "made"?

Excellent consideration LindaB. Nice to get that new slant!

Mark C
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

makes some sense

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

I hadn't thought in that direction either LindaB and Mark, but the arguement does have some merit.

IF, lets just say , the Caroline Group had something that they wanted the Navy to have .... but they happened to know ahead of time that the Navy security was "wildly" compromised, wouldn't it make sense to "clean house" before they actually started to bring something as sensitive as their "presentation " might be.)

If it actually worked though and the mole was allowed to scamper home to his "control" with that information, then why did dr. Brown have to "reinforce" that by going into this ten year disinformation and discrediting activity. Making others think that he was broke, disillusioned and disgusted with science. He even opened a laundry in Washington DC. The word he put out there was that he had "givien up"

Now I know for a fact that the attitude that he displayed at the Laundry took him off the FBIs watch list. We have those records. So was he dealing with more than one problem here. The Soviet threat on one side and the FBI concern about the Stephensons networks operation in this country on the other. Maybe that was enough of a reason. I don't know what the stakes were at the time but it seems to me that he and his family paid a handsome price for all of that disinformation program Elizabeth
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Not Today, Polanski

Post by Paul S. »

Victoria Steele wrote:Thank you for that Paul. Bless your little key tapping fingers and heart.
Today has been productive but not in the way I'd hoped this morning. I found myself rummaging around in one of the tunnels at the bottom of the rabbit hole looking for one particular piece of the puzzle. I found it just now, but finding it is just the beginning of what I need to do with it.
Its good that you think that the "Rest of the Story" will fall together quickly now that this new format sets and you can put it in place.
The good news is, I do think that once I let this slingshot go, it's gonna fly. The bad news is I'm still pulling back on the elastic.

And yes, there are lots of "cinematic" moments coming down the pike.
And of course, you know that I want to hear about what happens between Linda and Morgan.
It's setting up the weave of the coming patterns that's taking some concentration right now.
"Oh but the book was SO much better!"
Great sentiment but... one thing a time (well, sorta...)

Stay tuned.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Jeez

Post by Paul S. »

Mark Culpepper wrote:Maybe the entire "demonstration" was just a bait party. Maybe the story of Townsend Brown pounding on the desk was a story generated as smoke so that the mole would think that he REALLY HAD SOMETHING ... WHEN IN FACT .... MAYBE HE HAD BEEN PUT ON THE WRONG TRACK TO START WITH?
I think my head just 'sploded again.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

exploding heads

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Which tell me that you consider that such a thing MIGHT have been possible, otherwise you would have come back with ...." No, it didn't come down that way." But exploding heads?

Which response tells me also that in looking back over your notes from Morgan and Twigsnapper that its just POSSIBLE that this might have been the case .... am I right? That Townsend Browns life is riddled with such twists and turns and possibilities? So ... then .... we MIGHT possibly be right here? I AGREE ..... JEEZE

and I just had another thought that is going to make for a second explosion. Remember you said that the Caroline Group was international in scope? I took that to mean that the INDIVIDUALS in the organizations were from different countries, (not necessarily to mean that there were different governments involved).

So here is a question perhaps only you and Elizabeth can answer from the notes you have been taking. Remember the Russian "Kozyrev"? I think thats how you spelled his name. WHAT WAS HE DOING IN 1950? and later. I think for some time, he was a prisoner of the governments (his, Russian government) and yet he seemed to parallel the work that Townsend Brown was doing regarding an "intelligent" aether. So when did he get sprung from jail? .... and where did he go then?

I'll just bet that later on in his life he had communications with Townsend Brown through a certain red headed kid. Wanna bet? JEEZE. Mark C.
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: exploding heads

Post by Paul S. »

Mark Culpepper wrote:But exploding heads?
I've got a drawer full of 'em. I put one on my shoulders every morning and then wait to see how long before it goes off...<g>
Which response tells me also that in looking back over your notes from Morgan and Twigsnapper that its just POSSIBLE that this might have been the case .... am I right?
My experience is that there is no twist in this road that precludes the possibility of another twist just around the next bend. So, yeah, I'm saying that's a possibility, and one I most assuredly had not thought of until now.
I'll just bet that later on in his life he had communications with Townsend Brown through a certain red headed kid. Wanna bet?
A certain red-headed kid who was fairly fluent in Russian. Nope, not taking that bet.

I gotta run now, will be back later. Perhaps Twigsnapper will grace us with a few well-directed riddles in the meantime.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

Try this riddle

Post by twigsnapper »

Familiar with this scene?

Dr. Brown hung up the phone and with his daughter and two of his associates looking on ( The two men once referred to by Nassau as "our men at Deckers) he apparently was upset enough to throw his glasses down on his desk in disgust and anger. Rising quickly he left the lab building for the rest of the afternoon.

In the weeks that followed he changed his "style" of operations, warned his daughter to watch for following cars, he stopped going back to the Penthouse, and in fact quickly changed his living conditions to another residence.

Soon a vessel that you have already named steamed south, through the Delaware canal and further then, truly a sword out of the sheath.

Dr. Brown within days was in California and he only came back for a short visit at Christmas, gone again the next day. Josephine and Linda were left with the instructions that "some things were left behind at Deckers" and he reminded his daughter to not forget his lucky peacock feather when she retrieved the rest of the things.

Like a bunch of dominos all going back to that one phone call. A certain operation had had the ripcord pulled. And the person who pulled it was concerned over the entire security of a very long term operation. It was his job, he did it and Dr. Brown, after he cooled off, realized that the move was a good one. Need I explain further? I think you have everything you need to put the rest of it together. If not. I am still here, last time I looked. twigsnapper
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

then call it something else

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Whew Mr. Twigsnapper. I hope Paul has plenty of extra heads in that drawer.

But I am still stuck on Kozyrev and I found this which seems to apply to our discussion"

http://www.divinecosmos.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=36

And regarding what to call it and the bias of words try this:

The aether’s existence was widely accepted without question in scientific circles until the early 20th century, when the Michelson-Morley experiment of 1887 was co-opted to “proveâ€
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: Try this riddle

Post by Paul S. »

Twigsnapper gets a "pass" on the "riddle rule." He's the senior riddle-master... this one's loaded.
twigsnapper wrote:Need I explain further? I think you have everything you need to put the rest of it together.
That'll do for now. As they say over across the pond, "f'ing brilliant...."
If not. I am still here, last time I looked.
And that's a blessing for us all.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
LongboardLOVELY
Junior Birdman

Riddles and twists

Post by LongboardLOVELY »

Mr Twigsnapper.....HUH?
I guess you'd have to have Paul's notes and 'ploding heads to get that riddle. Interesting what you brought up though. Paul, is that going in the book? I hope so!!!

Ha, I can't believe Mark and I made Paul's head explode :roll: I was ruminating about the whole Pearl Harbor situation at work today. Just waffling about in my head.
Mark Culpepper wrote: So, LBL, You think that the entire Pearl Harbor demonstration might have been a ploy to "smoke out" the mole that someone might have known about beforehand? I am carrying the thread a little further because I think that you might have something there
Not just a ploy, Mark, but a well planned heist~ Maybe, they (military) wanted the "stuff", and were trying to double cross the double crossers?! Maybe they (Stephenson's group) including Brown, were trying to double cross the military while they (military) were trying to trick Russia's spies??
I've seen enough spy stories to really get into this.

I don't know if the Caroline Group would have "got" with the navy. As I understand it, Brown was trying to get AWAY from the Navy. Why else would he leave under the pretense of being a confessed homosexual? If at that time he was working with the CG, then there wouldn't be a reason for them to be working together with the military or paramilitary. Wasn't he doing research in California at the time? Or do I have my dates wrong?
Anyways, whole situation smells like a can of old old sardines. FISHY.
Mark Culpepper wrote:Excellent consideration LindaB. Nice to get that new slant!
Still in the game! Yeeehaa

Oh, that just reminded me of a Far Side cartoon. coupla aliens riding along in the "black triangle mustang" and people down people w/ their mouths open, and one of the aliens is screaming out YEEEHAAA... still brings a smile to my tired face.

I'm glad you're still here, Twigsnapper.

LBL
Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ~ Albert Einstein
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

"never use your own knife"

Post by Mark Culpepper »

You guys remember that phrase? I think it was Mr. Twigsnapper that used it " Never use your own knife".

Now I don't remember the context when he wrote that ( I think it was him! I really paid attention to that because of our long discussion earlier about commando knives and the Sikes Fairbain knife that my Dad carried and finally left to us. We didn't even know what it all meant until Mr. Twigsnapper came into our lives and started to shed some light in that direction ..... but thats another story.)

But maybe here LindaB thats what is happening. I think that the Caroline Group was so well entrenched with the Navy department historically that they could have caused to happen nearly anything. Thats in fact a characteristic of their operation. They are so embedded in different operations they are invisible, indistinquisable from the fabric of whatever uniform it is . Did I just lose everybody?

So I wondered who might have had a hand in the trail of Townsend Brown at that time and maybe later and the name Roscoe Hillenkoeter came up. (did I spell that right? its early for my brain and I have an appointment to make here pretty soon so I am fairly rushed. But it seems to me that particular Admiral might have been just the person to be in a position of "usefulness" to the Caroline Group.)

What you say is interesting LindaB but I don't think that Dr. Brown EVER REALLY separated himself from the Navy. It may have LOOKED that way and officially he may have been .... whatever it was that he was from the Navy, but I don't really believe that. It goes against his characte, from what I have seen displayed from Pauls work so far.

So five years later after MAYBE beating his fist on some Admirals desk he is in Washington DC convincing a bunch of Navy and other military people to look at the mysteries of " Flying Saucers" via NICAP. Wasn't Hillenkoeter one of the early directors of NICAP? Wasn't he also the first director of the CIA? Gee, all roads are pointing back to Brown suddenly ..... but he sure hasn't been using his own knife. Mr. Twigsnapper? Mark C
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

End of Topic for now

Post by Paul S. »

I'm going to "lock" this topic from further posts so that the discussion of the "Part II" can start in a new thread. --PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"