WELCOME NEW FORUM MEMBERS

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
Radomir
Senior Cadet

Re: WELCOME NEW FORUM MEMBERS

Post by Radomir »

Begging your pardon and I would have been more kind had I not made such an assumption...but I confess I was also an English major...<g>

Welcome again, then, thou truly Bronte-named as you wear it proudly.

Would still like to know what has drawn you to the book and the forums, if you're willing to share that with us.

Warmly,
R.
E Bronte
Space Cadet

Post by E Bronte »

Radomir wrote:Begging your pardon and I would have been more kind had I not made such an assumption...but I confess I was also an English major...<g>

Welcome again, then, thou truly Bronte-named as you wear it proudly.

Would still like to know what has drawn you to the book and the forums, if you're willing to share that with us.

Warmly,
R.
Oh my, I do run into them it would seem, English majors that is. Gratefully, I never had the urge to gravitate towards the classics other than as course requirements.

I work at the Letterkenny Depot as an assistant in research. Some of the areas of interest for those I work under parallels certain topics within this forum. That led me to read the book at the other website and to start reading these forums.

If that does not satisfy your curiosity then I would have to say, my own curiosity as pertaining to my job and the mentioning of the name Townsend Brown.

Bye

Em
Griffin
Senior Officer

Post by Griffin »

Welcome Em,

In the long run it could have been much worse. They could have named you Sue Em and pushed you to be a lawyer. Sorry, humor can get odd down the rabbit hole.

Griffin
E Bronte
Space Cadet

Post by E Bronte »

Something that I am not used to happening seems to be occurring here. I received an Email informing me of my post being "approved" and that I could view it. Somehow, I could not find the other post that I submitted. So I decided to look around again and found this:

FYI, the discussion in this "Second Draft" section is set up to require approval of new posts and replies. I hope that does not seem too tedious, but I've set it up this way for now so that I can keep the discussion focused. The approval requirement also assures that I will see all the messages. But if it begins to look like this protocol is unwarranted or unnecessary I'll remove it.

I should have read the fine print better. I believed I was asking a legitimate question as to why what I believed to be something important was edited out of the second preface. This reminds me so much of why I am no longer with my first husband.

Controlled information or disinformation? At least a notice of rejection with an explanation would have softened the blow.

Em
Chris Knight
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Chris Knight »

Hi Em,

Welcome.

This was a procedure put in place for the "Defying Gravity: Second Draft" by Paul for two reasons:

Firstly, we tend to talk all over the board (and I mean ALL over the board), and it is sometimes (often) difficult for us to stay on one topic for very long as new ideas take us in new directions.

Secondly, sometimes we move so fast that Paul cannot keep up with the posts and misses information that may be important to the book.

So, in that section dealing with the writing of the second draft, he now has to look at all posts and keep up. If it does not really apply to the writing of the second draft (depending on his state of mind at that moment), then he'll send it back.

If that happens, just toss it into the General Discussion, because it's still important - just maybe not applicable to that section.
Andrew
Qualight Environmental
(http://www.qualight.com, http://www.qualightenv.com, http://www.qualightscp.com)

"If you think the situation is under control, then you don't truly understand the situation."
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Welcome EM. That was a good question and it went right to the worry that I have had about perhaps the "control" factor perhaps slowing the "flow" of responses but Andrews answer was a good one I think.

Paul does have to have the ability to " pull focus" on that one section especially. Thats what that area is actually for and I agree that we do usually tend to jump all over the place with our thoughts. MOST of the time thats great but I hope that you will see why it is important for Paul to take control in this rewrite. If he doesn't this book will never resolve itself because we will continue to mine up new and important information and its enough of a "monster in a box " already actually.

haha I appreciated the husband comment. Been there!

Just look around a little . Maybe there is another thread that will be appropriate for whatever it was that you wanted to post, Again! Welcome, Welcome! Elizabeth
AM2
Senior Cadet

Post by AM2 »

DELETED
Last edited by AM2 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Sometimes...

Post by Paul S. »

...you just can't win for losing.... is that the expression?
E Bronte wrote:I should have read the fine print better. I believed I was asking a legitimate question as to why what I believed to be something important was edited out of the second preface. This reminds me so much of why I am no longer with my first husband.

Controlled information or disinformation? At least a notice of rejection with an explanation would have softened the blow.
Something about being compared to a "first husband" doesn't bring a smile to my face...

So, uh, what exactly happened here? Did a post you submitted "for approval" by the moderator get rejected? Not deliberately, I'd surmise...

I've encountered two complications with the moderation routines in the past few days:

The first is that there have been duplicates of posts. This appears to happen when a user creates a new post, and then edits the post while it is still awaiting moderator approval. When that happens, I wind up with two, nearly duplicate posts. When I see this happening I generally "approve" the later post and reject the earlier, un-edited post, in order to avoid duplication in the final forum. Then I let the system send a notification that the later post was approved, but I don't bother sending a notification that the earlier post was rejected.

Another problem is that I have very limited options re: the "subject headers" that appear automatically with rejected posts. Most of the options offered are irrelevant to the actual reason, so I'm trying not to over use the protocol.

I also ran into a problem over the weekend where I thought I'd approved some posts, and sent out notices accordingly, but when I came back to the moderation panel the next day those posts were still awaiting approval. I have no idea what happened there.

Anyway, the system is far from perfect, and I'm still learning its nuances. But, despite the sentiments expressed by others elsewhere, I really am not trying to "control information." And I sure don't want to be compared to anybody's first husband.

So if there's a problem, say something and let me figure out what's going on.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

Gravity Well,

First of all I want you to know that I love the name that you have picked. Secondly I wanted to welcome you here so that I would not cover up your very important search for information on the source of the article that you are looking for. I notice that quite a few have looked at your question and I hope that soon someone will step forward. I will try to look in that direction too but as Mr. Twigsnapper might say right now, I don't think that this stuff is going to be sitting right on top of the sheets.

I extend to you our standard bells and whistles of welcome. I hope that some of us out there can help you in your search. Thanks so much for speaking up and I personally look forward to other comments from the " Gravity Well" itself! Elizabeth
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

Dwight,

I have noticed that you have been our newest forum member for a couple of days but have remained quiet and so I wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum.

This can be a face paced bunch but don't let that phase you. I am hoping that you are sort of looking over the many threads and maybe you are composing in your head something you want to contribute.

I welcome your thoughts! Even though we might be a little demanding of each other and the material we are talking about, with newcomers we all have sort of promised to be understanding ( right ladies and gentlemen?)

So please jump right on in here with anything you would like to say. I can promise you that we all intend to offer you fair treatment, though it might not always be easy to understand what is happening in this particular rabbit hole! I think that we have a reserve on the word ..... HUH?"

So with that, Welcome! Elizabeth
Rose
Senior Cadet

Post by Rose »

But we are a smiley-"face paced bunch"...no face placed punches here

(Sorry, E, I couldn't resist.)

Welcome Dwight.

No doubt someone will be along soon to ask you how you developed an interest in TTB and what brought you to the forum, so if you want to jump in here and save them the effort, feel free.

rose
Strange travel suggestions are dancing lessons from god.
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

and I REALLY should learn to proofread my own stuff! Thanks Rose! Reminds me of that commercial where the translation to Chinese goes devastatingly wrong.

Dwight, of course I meant FAST PACED BUNCH (who I am trusting can proofread better than I can.)

But see, goes to show you ..... there is always someone out there checking your post and ready to make a comment and or correction and thats what brings the life and the magic to this rabbit hole!

Please jump on in! Elizabeth
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

Elizabeth Helen Drake wrote: Dwight, of course I meant FAST PACED BUNCH (who I am trusting can proofread better than I can.)

But see, goes to show you ..... there is always someone out there checking your post and ready to make a comment and or correction and thats what brings the life and the magic to this rabbit hole!

Please jump on in! Elizabeth
Elizabeth,

That all right, we all knew what you meant. It just proves that we're human on this forum. At least I hope most of us are. And as for the others, you are welcome too! :)

Dwight, welcome to the rabbit hole as we call this place! Once you get sucked in like Alice in Wonderland, your life will never be the same! :wink:

All of us are attracted to Thomas Townsend Brown in one way or another. For some, they have a very intriguing story of Dr. Brown being involved in a secret global organization (what we call the Caroline group [TCG]) with possible interventions from beyond this world; others have a romantic tragedy where high school sweethearts were somehow not destined to be, with one having to forsake his sweetie so he could be part of TCG and 'she need not know'; or some with the scientific aspects of Dr. Brown's work; or maybe the history will intrigue you. Or there is a host of other topics that are discussed on this forum.

The trick is when looking for info, you use the search feature. View active topics gives the topics recently discussed.
We hope this helps and welcome to the group. Feel free to jump in and start paddling with the rest of us! :wink:

MagicBill
Speeding through the Universe, thinking is the best way to travel ...
Trickfox
The Magician

Post by Trickfox »

Hello Dwight

I'm welcoming you to this fine place and inviting you to be prepared to meet friends who are interested in your point of view.

What draws you to our little group?

I'm watching CNN rigtht now .......watching "Bill the science guy" arguing that there are no such hings as beings from outter space, and he is outgunned by several former high officials of various miltary institutions.

Yet.....Bill....The "stupid" Science Guy keeps saying "there is no such thing" and "we understand that there are no other civilization visiting us!!!!

Interesting don't you think?

That possibly something else is happening, but what everyone says is happening may not be what it is at all! :roll:

Have a good time looking through the vast areas of disscussion and be sure and use that search function too.

Trickfox
The psychopropulsier (as pointed out in the book The Good-bye man by Linda Brown and Jan Lofton) is a Quantum entanglement project under development using Quantum Junctions. Join us at http://www.Peeteelab.com
htmagic
Senior Officer

Post by htmagic »

Welcome back, Mr. Trickfox! It is good to see you back. We pray all went well and you are well from your procedure.

MagicBill
P.S. I like Bill the Science Guy but that bit of disinformation is uncalled for.
Speeding through the Universe, thinking is the best way to travel ...