it's a start (The Library Project)

A place to engage extended discussions of things that come up on the ttbrown.com website. Anything goes here, as long as it's somehow pertinent to the subject(s) at hand.
ladygrady
Junior Birdman

it's a start (The Library Project)

Post by ladygrady »

I have been thinking abit about this idea of having one (at least) of Pauls books in every school in America.

Mark, I believe that was your idea originally. I believe that it rates having its own spot for discussion.

You have outlined an outstanding goal. I think its possible. (Though I believe the scope should be global.)

But, first things first.

So , while Paul is busy writing the danged thing., Lets discuss the various avenues by which such a goal can be turned into a reality. We have a little bit of time so this is a start.

My one thought is that certain Foundations might be contacted. It would be far easier for a single entity to purchase blocks of books which then could be donated to certain highschools. I don't even know how highschools fill their shelves. Does anyone? Can someone find out?

I would think that the first edition should go to Great Valley High School, in Malvern Pennsylvania. Shouldn't it? grady
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

review boards

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Hello Ladygrady, We have missed you!

Thank you for opening this post. It has sort of put me on notice to get my act in gear and find out what I need to find out to make this a reality. You are right I should have a global mindset but for now I want to follow through on my initial goal. A copy in EVERY HIGHSCHOOL IN THE UNITED STATES.

I will report my findings to this post. I am sure there are all sorts of administrative rules to putting certain books on those shelves, probably some sort of guiding standards and hoops.

But this thought hit me suddenly. Perhaps the publisher (whoever that will be) can promote a sort of "two book special" One book full price and then another book at a publishers discount to be sent directly to a certain school. That way each person who decides to buy a book for himself can participate in filling those shelves. I don't know that its workable, but its a thought. Throwing it out there.

Thanks grady, for starting this. Makes my concept even more concrete. Mark C.
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

how strange

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Has anyone seen yet how very strange it is that an UNWRIITEN .... or at least PARTIALLY WRITTEN book has already generated its own book club of sorts? Townsend Brown discussion groups! I look at the way this seems to be developing in sort of a random pattern, growing like Topsy into whichever topic it seems to need.

Interesting to watch, thats for certain! It certainly is not planned by any human hand that I know, but at the same time it is hardly random.

This Library Project is fascinating to me because I know that it will offer several challenges, most of which I don't even know about yet.

Lace from Zanesville ( the wonderfully talented research who has helped us SO MUCH in the past that our thanks can't even be measured.) offered a few thoughts on the subject just recently.

Lace! Jump in here please with an extension of what you said!

but I believe her words echoed the laughing concern that "right-wingers" wouldn't let the book on the bookshelves under their control! After all ... the book is about radical things, flying saucers and disinformation campaigns and government covert operations and yes .... even some good teenage sex thrown in there .... And I thought while I read those words ...Now there is a consideration I hadn't even crossed. That some group would try to keep it off the shelves? What do you guys think?

Elizabeth
grinder
Senior Officer

Borat

Post by grinder »

In a world where BORAT just won an award ..... someone would bash a biography of Townsend Brown? Now THAT would be funny. Sign me up. grinder
ladygrady
Junior Birdman

booking ahead

Post by ladygrady »

How odd it is that so many of us take so much for granted. In all of the years I have wandered in and out of my local library I never ONCE considered how all those books actually GOT there.

Now this is just from my area, and its not a school library, but apparently the head librarian (lets call her Marian ... you know " Sound of Music")edit, edit, I meant The Music Man, of course!)
Apparently books find their way their in several different ways .....

Marian has the authority to pick what will be put on the shelves. For brand new books she is given a list of "upcoming" books soon to be published and she marks the ones that she feels her patrons will enjoy. Then the library can purchase those books from their fund. Apparently there are organizations who act as agents between libraries and the publishers.

Thats one way, or .... books are donated by individuals ... if they are needed they are placed on the shelves, if not, they are sold and the money used to pay for books they do need.

Some Foundations or Funds will pay for entire sections .... as in the "large type" section. My Marian says that her entire "large type" section is supplied by a Foundation for the Visually impared, or some such.

All these different ways. Just a note from my end of it. grady
Last edited by ladygrady on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: Borat

Post by Mikado14 »

grinder wrote:In a world where BORAT just won an award ..... someone would bash a biography of Townsend Brown? Now THAT would be funny. Sign me up. grinder
Yo Grinder! check you PM

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
grinder
Senior Officer

No doubt

Post by grinder »

There is no doubt in my mind that Paul will produce a highly readable and popular book. So, I agree, though it seems tough, getting it on every shelf in every highschool in the United States will not be all that hard. They will be wanting it.

IF they hear about it. So PUBLICITY, PUBLICITY, PUBLICITY

I used to think that kids had given up on reading but now after all of the Harry Potter books, I take that back. Voracious little readers that those kids are the story about Townsend Brown .... full of this sort of magical quest for his decoder ring .... will be just what some of these kids are looking for. And theres alot to think about in these stories. The Establishment hasn't dumbed all of down into materialistic non- thinking drones, just yet.

grinder
Black Jack

Post by Black Jack »

Liraries in Tennessee high schools recieve annual funds for books and supplies. Any teacher can request any specific book be bought and added to the stacks. They will also accept gift books.
Black
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

welcome

Welcome to the forum discussions Black Jack!

So, its probably pretty easy to get this book into the classroom maybe, if we get the support of teachers in particular classes? I can see that this might be a compelling book for the history and science classes. It certainly has generated alot of enthusiasm here for those subjects.

And I suppose that different publishers also have their agents out there with connections to schools. That would only make sense.

And I keep thinking that there are probably non profit foundations out there who might be encouraged to be interested enough in this biography to see that books could be purchased and send to schools.

Thats what some of these Foundations are structured to do actually and I honestly believe once finished Pauls book will fit their expectations.

Of course, this is all busy work, isn't it? While we wait for the next segment. Maybe tomorrow Paul? No pressure! ha. Elizabeth
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

the pushy one

Post by Victoria Steele »

You know me Paul. I am the oiginal "pushy broad." Especially when I see something out there that I want. But in this case I think maybe all of us have put too much pressure on your head. (And I was the ringleader with this THURSDAY THING .

Here you are, only halfway through and we are all lining up to be your books sales agents!. I realize ( and they will too when they look hard) that in our interest and enthusiasm have overstepped our boundaries.

We are being presumptuous of course. You might have some really tough decisions to make on your end of it and pressure from us doesn't help. So I sort of am sorry about that and want you to know.

Just restating that we are happy WHENEVER. Victoria
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

also

Also it just occurs to me that we are all wanting to help in some way and this Library thing reared its head as something we could DO while Paul is busy and leaving us relatively to our own devices. Like Elizabeth said, its sort of "busy work" until he gets back to us.

Maybe if you understand Paul that we are doing it in that context perhaps it wouldn't seem quite as pushy? How else can we help? You know we want to! Victoria
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

I'm fine...

Post by Paul S. »

...really. I appreciate all the enthusiasm, all the encouagement, all the feedback.

And, for the record, I'M the one who started the "Thursday" thing. Victoria just picked up on that theme and reflected it back to me like the fun-house mirror that makes you look fat.

I've been having one of those weeks... trying to do certain tasks, and being thwarted at every turn; started about a week ago, sorta reached peak Tuesday night when I couldn't even order a pizza! When I thought I was stating to make progress again ystdy, and then the programs I was working with started crashing over and over again, I just decided that was God's way of telling me "Go to a movie. Eat some popcorn. Give it a rest."

None of the "pressure" I experience is as severe as the "pressure" I put on myself.

--PS

P.S. The "Library Project" is a great idea. Only slightly cart - in - front - of - the - horse. Like I always said to my clients in the music biz, "success is only 20% creating your product. The other 80% is creating your customer."
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

80% creating the customer

80% creating the customer! I love it. Soooooo we can continue then with our cart -just- slightly- ahead- of- the- horse plans without upsetting you?

Thats the way I am taking it. If you want us to "cool it" on this Library post just tell us and we will find somewhere else to go play .... but I really do think that this could be part of the "creating the customer" role and its something that many of us seem to want to get into.

Elizabeth
Trickfox
The Magician

Helping the kids to understand

Post by Trickfox »

ladygrady wrote: Some Foundations or Funds will pay for entire sections .... as in the "large type" section. My Marian says that her entire "large type" section is supplied by a Foundation for the Visually impared, or some such.

All these different ways. Just a note from my end of it. grady
Yes indeed this " authorized biography" would fit in the "science history section" and "non-fiction section" of any library, and plenty of foundations would express an interest in promoting science and non-fiction. I would certainly draw attention away from the pseudo science rumors that are getting out of control.

I see the philanthropic sense of your post rather than a business motive

Bravo
Ladygrady

Trickfox
The psychopropulsier (as pointed out in the book The Good-bye man by Linda Brown and Jan Lofton) is a Quantum entanglement project under development using Quantum Junctions. Join us at http://www.Peeteelab.com
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

plateau

Thats the one thing we can be sure of with Paul. His biographical research is rock solid. And what more could you ask ....... when he does not have rock solid source for a conjecture ... .......he has promised to tell us. What more could any one want?

This is just like an enormous plateau that he has helped us all reach regarding understanding the life of Townsend Brown ........ much higher than any other base camp before. He may not be able to go much further into the mist that might be coming up without saying " This is the trail I intend to follow ... you guys decide whether you want to follow along or go off on your own" But he has promised to tell us when he is not sure.

There will be plenty of people (I hope you know Paul) who will use your base camp to regroup their own exploration parties. And many may go off in different directions. Good! Terrific! They may find trails this party has missed. Wonderful!

Me .... I am happy to follow along with Pauls thoughts because I think he has a better sense of exactly WHO Townsend Brown IS. You have to know your subject. You have to have a compass on the man, and no matter how tough it gets in the future thats the one thing that I have great confidence in. He Knows the man.

Who else would have the confidence of these inside sources? Who else would have their help? Obviously Linda Brown trusts him completely. What better identifying passport does a guy need for this trip? Victoria