High voltage Generation

For a discussion of the science of Townsend Brown, his experiments and his ideas.
Astral

High voltage Generation

Post by Astral »

Does anybody know how Mr Brown generated his high voltages?
n_browne

Re: High Voltage Generation...

Post by n_browne »

I would emagine that Dr. Brown could have used one these devices for high voltage generation, bearing in mind the available technologies available to him, a cascade multiplier may not have been available (there could have been some form of valve based version however):

Marx generator
Van de Graff generator

possibly some form of rotary pulser (similar to ignition circuitry found in card) leading to a high voltage transformer.

The Marx Generator can be quite expensive, but it works with great effect. Perhaps he evn used a replica of Nikola Tesla's great creation: the Tesla Coil.

There are many new, simpler, smaller, more efficient means of creating high voltage electricity. DC to AC converter circuits are relatively easy to build and very inexpensive, an AC current is probably the easyest way towards creating high voltage DC. You could even power it with a 12V battery (car or otherwise). :wink:
Nathan...
Chris Knight
Keeper of the Flame

Brown's High Voltage Generators

Post by Chris Knight »

According to J. Frank King (now deceased) whom Brown worked with along with Agnew Bahnson in the 1950's, they used very large power generators approaching the size of a small room. Based on his descripion, I assume they were using vacuum tube technology.

J. Frank said that the power units put out up to a million volts DC at 1 mA, which granted, is not a whole lot of kick by today's HV standards, but at a million volts, still substantial. My first lab grade supplies at +/- 50 KV/1 mA were only slightly larger than a carton of cigarettes. I often wonder how far he would have gotten with today's miniturization and surface mount technology.

I know that he did not use Telsa coil technology, but he did use some form of vacuum tube switching earlier in his research with solid dielectrics. Much of his work utilized high voltage DC and pulsing DC.
Last edited by Chris Knight on Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: High Voltage Generation...

Post by Guest »

n_browne wrote:I would emagine that Dr. Brown could have used one these devices for high voltage generation, bearing in mind the available technologies available to him, a cascade multiplier may not have been available (there could have been some form of valve based version however):

Marx generator
Van de Graff generator

possibly some form of rotary pulser (similar to ignition circuitry found in card) leading to a high voltage transformer.

The Marx Generator can be quite expensive, but it works with great effect. Perhaps he evn used a replica of Nikola Tesla's great creation: the Tesla Coil.

There are many new, simpler, smaller, more efficient means of creating high voltage electricity. DC to AC converter circuits are relatively easy to build and very inexpensive, an AC current is probably the easyest way towards creating high voltage DC. You could even power it with a 12V battery (car or otherwise). :wink:
I only have a 12 volt car battery (I'm doing an arts residency in the New Forest, England working on 'the Invisible Force Field Experiments' - andwould like to recreate some of these experiments for a science/art exhibition. Any help would be great.

thanks

Kyp
Jon de Pinet
Space Cadet

Post by Jon de Pinet »

almost any form of "lifter" is great for a show. i use a 30 Kv DC flyback transformer out of an old computer monitor.

a great place to look for imformation is here http://members.aol.com/JNaudin509/index.htm
FallingSky

HV genny

Post by FallingSky »

I think a Wimshurst electrostatic machine having little resistance while it turns, can be turned by a tiny electric motor. The high Voltage can be sent to a capacitor, then to a battery bank. Or the high voltage can be sent to a step down transformer, to 120 volt, or 12 volt battery bank.

I think it will work with any of those electrostatic machines.

Falling Sky
PyroPete
Space Cadet

Post by PyroPete »

I believe he used a Cockroft and Walton Voltage Multiplier.
jary

Advanced hv generator

Post by jary »

Did M. Brown ever realize a flame-electric generator as described in his own patent?

I have myself study all his patent and other information on this website. I believe in this technology but with a 110% counterbary, the real question is how to put an onboard HV generator with a sufficient power. that is not too big in wheight.

Van der graaf and other common HV generator are awfully big. M Brown himself said that flame-electric generator is possibly THE solution.

I think that all research in the domain of lifter is important. Now that i known this electrokinetic effect is real, i would want to construct a flame-electric generator. It is very difficult to find information on thermo-ionic and related subject.

It is why i ask you if M Brown ever realize an flame-electric generator. Any information you could provide me on that question and on thermo-ionic will be apreciate.
krazyred

take a look-see

Post by krazyred »

Please take a look-see at the portion of the forum that says "Modified T. Brown device". I'm new and I chronicled the only idea I have regarding anti-grav travel. Please let me know if it sparks any reality.
Jon de Pinet
Space Cadet

Post by Jon de Pinet »

It is my understanding that Brown used DC power exclusively. I use DC in my experiments, and I understand that AC will not work in a Brownian thruster; it will however power an ionic thruster.

The T Brown flame-generator used a gas turbine or jet engine to produce the flame. The theory is quite sound and all you really need is some method of accelerating air to make it work. However budget wise for experiments I think the Marx generator is the better bet.

I pulled some work off of KeelyNet a long time ago for a hydrostatic electric generator that works on similar principles to the Brownian flame generator. But again the concept is unlikely to be economical or even practical.

For high voltage generation, you require pulsed DC, in ionic devices 70Hz was shown to be a superior frequency, however Brownian thrusters likely are different.

Building a Marx generator is expensive, but it gives you the most power at voltages well over 1Gv. However gigavolt Marx generators tend to run slower, in the .5-5Hz range. But designing one to run faster would be a simple mater, of course the higher the frequency the less overall power you will be able to achieve. 1Gv at 1ma is achievable though.

For the lower budget experimenter the very high voltages are difficult to get to. A cascade multiplier can get you quite high for relatively cheap. The beauty in the cascade multiplier is that you can feed it AC and it will put our DC no mater what you do. Begin with a 10Kv AC transformer that is very easy to come by, and your maximum voltage will be around 150KvDC but if you go with something with a little more juice like a 50Kv AC ignition transformer, you will have to build a control circuit for it but your voltage should top out nearer to 300KvDC. However your output frequency is not controllable, and is in the radio range. A basic CRT monitor uses a “flybackâ€
Trickfox
The Magician

Post by Trickfox »

Why not just put 5000 12 volt batteries in series?

Don't listen to me, I,m drunk! :lol:
The psychopropulsier (as pointed out in the book The Good-bye man by Linda Brown and Jan Lofton) is a Quantum entanglement project under development using Quantum Junctions. Join us at http://www.Peeteelab.com
Chris Knight
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Chris Knight »

Jary,

Yes, Townsend did see his flame-jet generator in action.

I thought I'd throw this out there. Blaze Labs has a small HV variable DC pulse generator they are selling for Euro 550 + shipping. The link is here: http://www.blazelabs.com/e-exp17.asp.

It looks like a clever little device (although the amperage is a bit lacking), but that price just seems a bit steep. Perhaps someone out there knows of schematics or another sources for HV power supplies that might be useful to experimenters starting out into Brown's work.

Andrew
grinder
Senior Officer

flame jet generator

Post by grinder »

Andrew,

Do you know when it was that Townsend Brown had a working model of the "flame jet generator" I have noticed that it has been mentioned other than your refences no body seems to be talking about it. And since it seems that Browns units needed such high voltages I would assume that he actually had that generator in operation.

If that was the case. Where is it now? Where was it last mentioned? You said that he had a working model , where was that, Bahnsons? earlier? later? Amazing to me that a development like that would suddenly be ..... nowhere? I think I sense a creeping black curtain! grinder
Trickfox
The Magician

Borderland Sciences

Post by Trickfox »

Andrew
Isn't borderland sciences still selling schematics, capacitors and diodes for HV pulsed supplies?

It's been a while since I looked them up. We designed our own circuits and ended up winding our own transformers, so imagine how expensive our units were to make back in the late seventies and early 80s.

those diodes and caps are usually pretty difficult to obtain.

I would say JLN's website may also be a good source.

Trickfox
The psychopropulsier (as pointed out in the book The Good-bye man by Linda Brown and Jan Lofton) is a Quantum entanglement project under development using Quantum Junctions. Join us at http://www.Peeteelab.com
Chris Knight
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Chris Knight »

Grinder,

Townsend mentioned it at Bahnson labs, but had a working model in 1961 in Meadville, PA, which was shown to miltary personnel.

I believe it was with Electrokinetics (formerly Whitehall Rand), which later turned into Martin Decker.

I was telling a friend earlier that I could completely draw one out for construction, but the historical aspects seem to elude me sometimes.

Andrew