Chapter 75: Operation Peacock Freedom

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Radomir
Senior Cadet

Food money

Post by Radomir »

Mikado--

One thought is that they may still have been in the wounded prairie chicken period, where it was important that they NOT appear to have too much cash? In fact I don't know if that period ever officially ended?

R.
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

Mikado...Affirmative !!!

Radomir...for some people, depending upon what and how much they know that violates a compartmentalized structure, it's like the Hotel California. They can check out but they can never leave. *What a great lyric !*

Which brings me back to Gen. Marshall's view that there is no limit to how much good that a person can do if he or she doesn't care who gets the credit. But in these cases we are also looking at a spiritual and moral boundary between corruptibility and incorruptibility.

flow.... :roll:
Dancing is better than marching
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

Mikado,

I know. Sometimes it makes no sense at all why an organization as powerful as the Caroline Group ( just take a look at the ship that lent its name if you need to be impressed by obvious money) would let its premier scientist go hungry. So......... if you think along those lines the only conclusion you can reach after watching all of his trials and tribulations is ....... they must not exist ....... if so . they would have " ridden to the financial rescue". But ..... what if they had nothing to say about that arrangement? What if .... Townsend Brown refused financial assistance. Why would he do that? Most people would certainly take money from an organization with obviously deep pockets historically. Why not?

Certainly the Brown family, during the winter of 1966 and into January of 1967 were ... what seemed to be ... financially embarassed. Their daughter was working in a department store. Anyone making discreet inquiries would have seen what was obvious. Decker had refused payments. There was no financial flow at all. And it wasn't looking like anything was happening, or going to happen for them.

And those "watching" them thought that they were broke. And then they were suddenly just... gone.

My impression is that people do not regard those they believe to be financially disadvantaged. They note the big spenders, but never the people who seem to be struggling. I believe that Townsend Brown used that bias as a tool. Another way of staying under some sort of visibility line or tree line. A " canyon flyer" perhaps.

Just the female Hobbits note on this version of reality! Elizabeth
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: leaving Philadelphia

Post by Mikado14 »

Victoria Steele wrote:
And what about that big loudspeaker?
Hello there, haven't forgot about my dances, have you?

Now, what about that loudspeaker? ......... how about this. The loudspeaker was no diversion. What if it was built to prove a principle that could be utilized in another field? What if, Dr. Brown wanted Linda there for a purpose? What if that purpose was nothing more than to have a hands on experience and observe? What if, in observing, she became a crucible of knowledge without even knowing what that knowledge was? And most importantly, what if the sleeper is awakening?

Want more? Nah, it's your turn.

Mikado

Didn't forget the sub at the Philadelphia Naval Yard...did ya?
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

the Cutlass

Post by Victoria Steele »

THE SUB AT THE PHILADELPHIA NAVY YARD.......

There. Just to show you that I was awake...

And the line from the movie "Enigma" about Claire .... always being out there ......" a sword over your head ..... ".... anybody catch the similarities between that mysterious woman in that movie and how the " Caroline Group" seems to operate?

And I think thats what the Cutlass must have been. She had to have been there for a reason. And people who have not just a little to do with submarines seem to know about her. Mr. Twigsnapper for example. Oh I am dancing with the story Mikado, trust me.

And I think that I have said this before about Linda Brown. She was her dads own personal recorder. Recording everything that was done and said for a later date. He couldn't publish any papers, couldn't even have any papers or notes in the open BUT he had her right by his side the whole time. Meeting people, taking names, describing personalities .... noting the fact that a phone call came in, for example, and that her Father was upset ..... Noting that the family had a " code" and was using it. And then being smack in the middle of a peacock raid and having to watch as her whole world broke camp. Sheeze. Nice to be useful! Victoria
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

I sense its about time this morgan bloke was stood up for, not that I think he needs it.
There are so many parallels to my own life in this story, and I suspect to all of us, anyway heres a little parallel tale.

I had to work away from my home, as a contractor on building sites, I had two young children , a home, a wife,and was 21 years old.
Things were not good with me and my ex wife, which is another long story to do with abuse to her at a young age, I knew nothing of which until we divorced after twenty years of marriage.

Work took me to the south coast, a new marina was been built , and I was installing the hydraulics to the lock gates and bridges etc.
That led to nightclubs etc, and a meeting with a stunning green eyed redhead, leo all woman who approached me, little hobbit.
She said that she had just wrote a date on the palm of her hand , and asked what my birth date was, I would have said any date , if I could have seen what was written on her hand, she was stunning, but I had to just say what my birthday was, 28 nov 49.
She showed me her hand, it had 28,11.49 written on it.
She said lets go.
When we reached her flat, she showed me charts that were to do with me, and her, she was bang on, we must have arrived into this planet holding hands.
Anyway ,six months I lived with her, until the job finished, then duty overrid all.
I could not leave those two children, I loved the lady with every ounce of my being, but something else was more powerfull.
That was tested to the limit when she arrived unannounced at my house in the north of england , and introduced herself to my then wife.
She was very rich and offered to set my wife up financially, and wanted to start a chain of fishing shops for me to run.
All I wanted was her, she knew that, but the duty I felt was too much.
We kept in touch, the sound of her voice , or a note meant the world.
It was no use though, we both had lives to live, seperately, but I will always love her, miss her, until in another world, we meet again.

Cut the man some slack, we owe his like and mr twiggsnapper a big debt of honour. in my little hobbit opinion
Kevin
fibonacci is king
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Not So Fast

Post by Paul S. »

Victoria Steele wrote:Well, I guess this next chapter will be sort of leaving Philadephia to " California Here I Come!"
Well, there's a bit of "business" to take care of before we leave Philadelphia altogether...

I'll be "AFK" until about 3:00 this afternoon so hopefully the next installment will be online around 4:00, maybe 4:30 CST.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
twigsnapper
Revered Elder

Lioness

Post by twigsnapper »

Ah kevin. Reading your words. I can still hear the Lioness at the Dublin Zoo.

Morgan considered Linda the flame of his life. I am an old man and you don't need to be actually told these things to recognize them. Just judge his actual feelings by studying his actions.

Morgan asked Paul once if he had discovered his "Agenda" ..... a deep dark secret perhaps to some yet the answer is so obvious to men like you and me. But you see, we have had a person unfold our palm to see the stars and thats what happened to him that evening at Ashlawn. She wore a lapis lazurli ring that " sparkled when she spoke" and she saw his future ( which he had already seen for himself)

"Like a Bonfire on a beach" he said once to me. "Which will always relight itself." twigsnapper
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Mikado14 »

Elizabeth Helen Drake wrote:Mikado,

I know. Sometimes it makes no sense at all why an organization as powerful as the Caroline Group ( just take a look at the ship that lent its name if you need to be impressed by obvious money) would let its premier scientist go hungry. So......... if you think along those lines the only conclusion you can reach after watching all of his trials and tribulations is ....... they must not exist ....... if so . they would have " ridden to the financial rescue". That my dear, would be exactly what they would want, a knee jerk reactive conclusion. But ..... what if they had nothing to say about that arrangement? What if .... Townsend Brown refused financial assistance. Why would he do that? Most people would certainly take money from an organization with obviously deep pockets historically. Why not? My take would be that it would be their impersonation of Hansel and Gretel and that would be unacceptable...but! would it have been so hard to mail a Christmas card with a few bucks since it was around that time of year? It could have been totally untraceable.

Certainly the Brown family, during the winter of 1966 and into January of 1967 were ... what seemed to be ... financially embarassed. Their daughter was working in a department store. Anyone making discreet inquiries would have seen what was obvious. Decker had refused payments. There was no financial flow at all. And it wasn't looking like anything was happening, or going to happen for them. Which raises the question, where did Dr.Brown get the funds for a plane trip?

And those "watching" them thought that they were broke. And then they were suddenly just... gone. Again, if they were being "watched" , even at that period, watching Dr. Brown leave on a jet plane when they were "broke" wouldn't have raised suspicions?

My impression is that people do not regard those they believe to be financially disadvantaged. They note the big spenders, but never the people who seem to be struggling. I believe that Townsend Brown used that bias as a tool. As do I, then that would mean one of several things, neither Jo knew and Linda or just Jo knew and Linda was in the dark.
And now here is another take. Perhaps they (Caroline group )were paying funds to Decker as an outside investor and the funds where to go to whatever Dr. Brown was doing and the funds were to be used to pay for salaries, materials, etc. and Mr. Decker "misappropriated" the funds and with the funding eventually withdrawn, Mr. Decker's overextendedness (is that a word? <g>) financially was his eventual downfall 8 years later.

Just a few thoughts from some Chinese food.

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

great thought

Post by Mark Culpepper »

reat thought Mikado

"What if that purpose was nothing more than to have a hands on experience and observe? What if, in observing, she became a crucible of knowledge without even knowing what that knowledge was? And most importantly, what if the sleeper is awakening? "

Thats what makes this story so fascinating to me Mikado because we seem to be awarded the honor and ability to go along with Linda on this wonderful quest and in that way I think that she stands for all of us. Being sheltered and now finally awakening. Its a Universal story and I think that Paul has the ability to tell it well.

We want to know what happens next because somehow we all know we have a stake in this. MarkC
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

Interactions? Extortion?

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

There seemed to be some sort of interaction between the " Decker camp" and the " Brown Camp" on that hill in Bala Cynwyd and its my theory that because Martin Decker had been earlier facing some financial pressures that he might have been open to sort of a " sublease" of building number four and some surrounding buildings during the summer Paul has some records of Martin Decker flying to Nassau with Dr. Brown before the family moved up to Philadelphia in the spring of 1966. What sort of financial arrangement may have been struck?. The business of those in building #4 SEEMED TO BE the construction of that large loudspeaker but I think that Paul has fairly well set the tone that there was something else happening there too and not all of it was known by what could be called the " Decker Camp". Perhaps Mr. Decker had made financial arrangements with the Nassau Group to simply " look the other way" for a period of time. That would make some of the activities of Spirito and Puschek more understandable. They reported only to Dr. Brown, much to Mr. Moyers dismay. I have a feeling, like the day he was locked outside of the complex, the fact that he was the President of the company didn't hold enough water in that situation. Even now, I wonder if he ever knew what was going on there right under his nose?

The existance of a project still doesn't really answer the question of why it seemed to close down so quickly. I have asked myself that question over and over. Was Mr. Decker using their need for secrecy as a method of extorting more money from the Nassau Group? That strikes me as a dangerous thing to do ...... but somewhere in that phone call that Dr. Brown recieved and that upset him so is the seed I think of the reason all of it came to an end so quickly.

But I guess we only have a couple of hours to wait before the answers may come down the pike? Elizabeth
Gewis
Junior Birdman

Money and traces

Post by Gewis »

Mikado,

Obviously, the Caroline Group was spending plenty of money and was hard at work, ala Cutlass. In order for Brown to maintain the public face of it, he had to operate on the public side as if the Caroline Group did not exist. Unfortunately, the "public" included his own family, though it seems Josephine was aware of a good deal. The best way to appear to be struggling financially is to actually struggle financially.

The best actors are the ones who become the role they're playing.
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research!" -Einstein
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

teenagers and trust

Post by Victoria Steele »

I think that there could have been many reasons that Townsend Brown may not have shared what he knew with Linda. I have been considering this for quite some time.

This is a big honking deal, whatever was going on at Deckers in 1966. This isn't an ordinary secret of say ...... planning a birthday party for someone. This is a heavy duty, life threatening in the wrong hands type of secret.

First of all I am sure that he did not want to give her information which slipped out somehow would give others the idea that she knew enough to be of interest to them. She honestly didn't know what was going on there. The only thing that she knew was that she had an intuition there was something more. Nothing above that.

And I know that Dr. Brown would have trusted her but it would have been unfair to load her shoulders with that kind of responsibility or that kind of information.. She was a young adult ... just into her twenties. What if she had gone through a flash of adolescent rebellion? What if she KNEW in that case far too much! What do you do then? Silence a daughter who has suddenly become a loose cannon in this operation? If he lost control of her and she knew too much what would have happened to her? An angry teenager does not see the consequences of her actions . Trust me, I figured that out all by myself when I was that age. No, he had to be sure that she knew nothing.

And Morgan treated her exactly the same way! I'll bet that their pillow talk did not involve what he was doing for her father. Want to bet that she didn't even know that Morgan was actually working for her father? or even where he was that summer? She seems surprised that her father can just sort of have him appear at her gate when he needed him to be there.

Years later apparently she didn't know that he was meeting Dr. Brown on the other side of the flight from Catalina either. The phrase " She NEEDS not to know " seems to have been a shared agreement between those two men. And for many years!!!!!

And now she is headed for the west coast with no idea of what is in the future and no real idea of what has happened in the past. How long can she keep this up I wonder? When is she going to say " Wait a minute, I NEED a life of my own here." I am waiting to see how long it will be before that happens.
Sigh. Victoria
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: teenagers and trust

Post by Mikado14 »

Victoria Steele wrote:

And I know that Dr. Brown would have trusted her but it would have been unfair to load her shoulders with that kind of responsibility or that kind of information.. She was a young adult ... just into her twenties. What if she had gone through a flash of adolescent rebellion? What if she KNEW in that case far too much! What do you do then? Silence a daughter who has suddenly become a loose cannon in this operation? If he lost control of her and she knew too much what would have happened to her? An angry teenager does not see the consequences of her actions . Trust me, I figured that out all by myself when I was that age. No, he had to be sure that she knew nothing.

Years later apparently she didn't know that he was meeting Dr. Brown on the other side of the flight from Catalina either. The phrase " She NEEDS not to know " seems to have been a shared agreement between those two men. And for many years!!!!!

In a strange sort of way, I see what you are saying but on the surface it appears as though you have a dichotomy going on. In the one paragraph, you state your case and in short, as I read it, you claim it is her youth that primarily is the reason she is not told.

And then on the other hand, when Linda is 40 years old, the reason is "She NEEDS not to know".

I believe that it is both and yet neither. I believe when Linda was young, the reason on the surface was "She NEEDS not to know" as well as when she was 40 and Dr. Brown told her that it would be alright. Remember the letter or the prediction, whatever you wish to call it.

I believe that somehow, someway, he knew of the possiblity of this forum. I believe he had known that a young man would come around, possibly Andrew, I believe he knew of other things as well. I further believe that he knew of Trickfox, maybe not by that name but he knew. Also, I would consider strongly that he knew that Paul would be there to put this together and in so doing it would arouse memories in Linda and it would provide the dots for her to connect.

My beliefs are kinda like the south facing part of a north bound horse, but then, everyones beliefs are that until proven.

Irregardless of the above, you still owe me those dances <g>

Mikado
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

Mikado...One of the primary features of any complex system is that you bring together the necessary elemental and operational components in one locale (even virtual it seems), you reach a critical mass, recognition of self-similarity occurs, and a new future is created. IMHO, that's what's going on here.

Lasagna forever !

flow.... :wink:
Dancing is better than marching