Chapter 50: Structure of Space

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Chapter 50: Structure of Space

Post by Paul S. »

Follow this link:

viewtopic.php?p=4558#4558

- - - - -

I've always believed that in any good news / bad news situation, you always ask for the bad news first. That way you've got something to look forward to.

So, first the bad news: The next chapter, tentatively entitled "The Structure of Space," is not ready for prime time.

The good news, then, is: the chapter HAS been started. There are actual sentences and paragpraphs that have been composed and actually sound coherent.

Which is a lot more than I could have said at this time last week....

So, what else can I tell ya but....

Stay tuned.

--PS
Last edited by Paul S. on Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

creativity

Post by Mikado14 »

Creative genius is not forced. It springs forth when the seed germinates, but only when it is time.

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

Mikado...truer words may have been spoken before...but I know that these are true from personal experiences. When it's time...it's time, you might say.

flow.... :)
Dancing is better than marching
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

hall pass, this time

Post by Victoria Steele »

So maybe you get a hall pass on this one. Doens't sound like the subject which would generate a title of " A Structure of Space" is going to be all that easy. We can wait.

You know what happens though when you leave us alone for too long without fresh material . We get sort of .... creative .... in our conjectures.
So be prepared.

Ah, and there are newcomers out there! Welcome folks!

Victoria
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Meltdown

Post by Paul S. »

I had a meltdown yesterday. When I could not get a computer to do anything I wanted it to do, I simply turned them all off and walked away. I broke my fast by borrowing my wife's computer to leave this message.

Maybe next week.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

a concern

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Of course, I don't know what the subject is that you are trying to present. This is just my impression of things watching what has happened here.

I believe you are trying to force an issue here that may not be ready, pull the answer to the exam out and get it down when maybe its not quite ready (or YOU are not quite ready). Maybe the best thing to do would be to step away from it for awhile, put a marker down that there is still a question there, and simply go on.

Its what any teacher would advise a student to do. When you get wound up like this just go on to the next question, those that you know, and come back later when your brain has unlocked. Just leave it open. You had such a nice flow going. My advice would be ... go on.

We all sure would understand. Would that work for you? After all you yourself said this was a work in progress. It might turn out that its not as difficult a chapter as you now see. When you look at it again from some distance down the road. Mark C.
Radomir
Senior Cadet

Wise

Post by Radomir »

Mark's comments strike me as very wise. For what it's worth I second the recommendation. Though only you will know whether you need to tough it out until you make a breakthrough, or set this chapter aside and go on for now as Mark has suggested.

In Africa in many regions, people greet each other by saying simply "I see you." The response to which is "I am seen." But I've just learned yesterday that in Uganda, they say in greeting, "Thank you for the work that you do."

Thank you for the work that you do, Paul.

We are by degrees patient or impatient for this or that next installment, but if I've learned anything reading through this group's postings it's that you have everyone's deep thanks and support for what you're taking on here.

R.
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

The job

Post by Mikado14 »

From my Dutch grandfather (mother's side):

"On the job, large or small, do it right, or not at all". I am sure it was not of his own creation ....... but applicable none the least.

Mikado
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

for what you will do

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Radomir,

I found your response about greetings in Africa exceptionally interesting. The recognition of reality captured "I see you" strikes me as wonderfully connected. As the response "I am seen" is as pure an answer as there could ever be.

The phrase " Thank you for what you do" struck me as terribly familiar until I realized thats almost what Elzabeth uses as her standard.

But she puts a twist on it which is unusual and I wanted to point it out. She has said many times on this forum " Thank you, IN ADVANCE, for your response .... (or whatever it is that she is talking about expecting from you).

And it struck me suddenly when I saw your African phrase how very grounded in something special she happens to be. She is already thanking us for the work that we WILL do. How special is that? Mark C.
flowperson
Senior Officer

Post by flowperson »

Perfesser:

Went to a Magritte exhibition yesterday, you know one of those where they assemble works from collections all over the world. My favorite was one Titled, The Pleasure Principle. It showed the torso of his "everyman, anonymousman" persona, but in place of the bowlerized head there was in it's place a brilliant burst of light.

Remember. a pipe is not a pipe, and miniature trains do chug out of fireplaces from time to time. One must watch very closely to see such things as did Rene'. Wait for the light. And remember that even when light comes, we are only allowed to see riddles, strange and uncertain things, down in that usually dark rabbit hole.

flow....

:)
Dancing is better than marching
grinder
Senior Officer

cleft in the rock

Post by grinder »

I am no Biblical scholar but isn't there a part in it that says something about looking at the passage of "God" through a cleft in a rock, because seeing it all at once would destroy the observer? Someone out there know that better than I do?

And then there was the bit about looking "as through a glass darkly" or something like that? There you are Paul!

I don't think anybody needs to have ALL the knowledge all at once. There are times when a dark little rabbit hole is an alright place. Especially with good company. Besides .............. what an adventure this is, right now, this process of discovery. This is about as good as it gets!!!!!!!! grinder
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: a concern

Post by Paul S. »

Mark Culpepper wrote:Its what any teacher would advise a student to do. When you get wound up like this just go on to the next question, those that you know, and come back later when your brain has unlocked. Just leave it open. You had such a nice flow going. My advice would be ... go on.
I just wanted to tell you Mark how much I appreciate that sentiment when I read it a couple of days ago. Ordinarily, I would take such advice to heart: leave a marker and move on. And I'm very excited to get to some of the material that comes after what I've been working with.

But the more time I spend in this particular rabbit hole corridor, the more certain I am that there is something that needs to be dealt with here, a seed that needs to be planted now, however challenging it has proven to be.

I think the rationale will prove to be something like this: in order to follow Dr. Brown's path into the years after the war, we need to come to have a fairly good grasp of his thinking during the war. It's like, we just have to pick up that particular piece of baggage; we're going to need something in it when we reach our next destination. We don't want to get where we're going and discover that we didn't bring the right tools to do the job.

Imagine one of those space shuttle astronauts going up to work on the space station and discovering he left the pliers he needs back on his workbench. Oops.

At the very least, just turning off the computers for a couple of days gave me a chance to clear my head, and today I saw light at the end of the tunnel (locomotive caveats not withstanding).

Thanks,

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
Mikado14
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: a concern

Post by Mikado14 »

Paul S. wrote: I saw light at the end of the tunnel (locomotive caveats not withstanding).
I like trains, all kinds of trains, most especially narrow guage that spew and spit.

I hope we remember to keep old technology in some form of operation so that those that come up can see where we have been.

AAHHHHHH, nothing like the smell of coal smoke, steam and hot oil from a locomotive.

Mikado
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Chapter 50 is now ONLINE!

Post by Paul S. »

and you can find it here:

https://www.ttbrown.com/defying_gravity ... Space.html

Now I know how the python must have felt -- after he'd swallowed the pig

Looking forward to hearing what all y'all have to say about this one.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
Chris Knight
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Chris Knight »

Fantastic. That was the best interpretation I've heard in a very long time.

It's not everyone who can digest and translate a theory of the structure of space into layman's terms in a coherent manner.

You are truly doing this story justice.
Andrew
Qualight Environmental
(http://www.qualight.com, http://www.qualightenv.com, http://www.qualightscp.com)

"If you think the situation is under control, then you don't truly understand the situation."