Chapter 17 " A Great Disappointment To Us All".

Use this section for any discussion specifically related to the chapters posted online of the unfolding biography, "Defying Gravity: The Parallel Universe of T. Townsend Brown
Martin Calloway
Junior Birdman

Chapter 17 " A Great Disappointment To Us All".

Post by Martin Calloway »

I wonder if its the title that has turned people away from wanting to at least make some sort of comment on this chapter.

I found it interesting that Townsend Brown has that sort of pressure exerted on him but actually I think that he got off pretty lightly. I have known situations (mine too, actuallyf) where the son in the family was EXPECTED to take over the family business. And actually if you are of the right mindset that isn't really all that bad. I have told myself many times that I have been fortuneate to have a built in business with a stellar reputation. I am sure thats all Uncle Rufus was trying to impart, though a little <g> on the heavy handed side.

I don't think it would have made any difference at all to Townsend Brown. He has struck me as being exceptionally independent, (lovavble maybe) but more than a little spoiled by self indulgent parents. A lab of his own?at what age 18, 17? Better than the schools? All that of course is a double edged sword. Maybe he didn't need or want that kind of parental oversight?

But having your fiance chosen for you? Well I am glad that he drew the line there.

But I found one thing VERY telling. His Uncle told him to "keep this letter for future reference" and I find it interesting that Townsend Brown obviously kept that letter, making it available ,through fate ,to be quoted verbatim.

The picture of the crew at the lab is enough to give you the chills. You can tell the way that the young Brown is standing there that he is one step away from stepping out of that life. Martin
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Today is the first time I have looked at this chapter, and the picture that always seems to look at you is shown a liitle larger ( vey apt )
does it say VIKING on the two lifeboy rings ?
is that the uss viking?
Kevin
fibonacci is king
Linda Brown
Resident Mystic

earlier chapters

Post by Linda Brown »

kevin,

If you haven't yet read the earlier chapters you are going to be pleased I think by the amount of information that you will get from them.

The VIKING was the name of an ex Navy Captains gig that Dad bought when he was a youngster and then had rebuilt as his " lake boat" for summers on Buckeye Lake, (which is not far from his hometown of Zanesville.) He spent most of his time on that boat when he wasn't in his lab working. As you know by now he loved the water ... wanted to be in it .... on it .under it!!!... he actually preferred his sailing boats ( his family had several) to the Viking though and the Club on the shore still has record of the races he won. In fact on my mantle I have a lovely little Pewter sailboat trophy which reads
“ Buckeye Lake Yacht Club
Winner of First and Third Series
“Class K” 1922 Tom Cat
Townsend Brown, owner

Which would have made Dad seventeen.
When he went to college he took his momentos with him.
I still have the life ring, and the BLYC pennant.
Strange with all of our moves the things that have stayed with us. And of course this little trophy too which means so much to me. The “ Tom Cat” was the little sailing boat that Dad took Mom out on during one of their first dates. Paul writes about that in Chapter 16 ... “ We will just Sail Away”
If you haven’t read it yet, please do, if you want to get to know my parents. Linda
"
kevin.b
The Navigator

Post by kevin.b »

Linda Brown,
Strangely chapter sixteen is one of the early ones I had read.
I didn't post anything for some reason, something so classy about your parents, that I have not the words to explain.
In horse breeding circles , as you well know, the parental line is all important to the quality of the off spring, You show how that is equally true for ourselves , IMHO.
kevin
fibonacci is king