I also talked and received mail from Mr. Brown

The website is all about his life and work; here, let us focus on defining and celebrating his outstanding personal qualities.
MARK MOODY
Space Cadet

I also talked and received mail from Mr. Brown

Post by MARK MOODY »

My name is Mark Moody and I live in Virginia.
I was recently contacted by Miss. Drake to share my experiences about Townsend Brown. I first became aware of Mr. Brown back in the ealry 80's after reading the PHILADELPHIA EXPERIMENT by William Moore.
Right then I was fascinated by his ideas and the man.
I located Brown's address in a library in Beaver Falls, Pa in a WHO'S WHO in science book. I believe at that time he was in Avalon, Ca.
I wrote Brown on numerous occassions and he always wrote me back.
If you read his letters, I am the same Mark that insisted on writing a book about him and paying him a visit. Only when he got real ill, did Mrs. Brown write to me for him. He once told me over the phone, after I located his number, that I was "just spinning my wheels"with interest in his work and that I should pursue a college/university of some type for real help because an education was valuable in his line of work. Back then, I was still in high school and even told him to please save me a plane trip to Avalon by sending me some photos or models of his work.
Of course he refused! But that only made me love the man even more!
I deeply believe in my heart that his work has survived in the US government and that one day we will see proof of this made public.
As for me, my life is dedicated to electrogravity and anything that deals with it.
GOD BLESS THOMAS & JOSEPHINE BROWN!
Mark Moody
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

hello Mark

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

HELLO MARK!

Thankyou so much for responding to my invitation to join us here on the forum. You will find that there are some stimulating conversations going on here and with your personal connection with Dr. Brown I am sure that you will find some of the comments interesting. I am looking forward to whatever thoughts you might share with us.

Some questions for you!

You said that he always replied to your letters. Can you remember the (in general) time span when your correspondence occurred? You mentioned Avalon so that helps us narrow that down but he also moved to Avalon and then away three times befoe his death in 1985. I am assuming that some of your letters were exchanged when he became ill because you mentioned that Josephine was writing for him.

Have you read the section of Pauls book yet where he has his run-in with Dr. Millikin? (Chapter 10, Impossible and not to be Considered) I thought that you might appreciate that. Of course Townsend Brown didn't put away his passion in exchange for school credentials and perhaps , knowing you were so young, he wanted to guide you to an easier path than he had chosen for himself. I sense that he didn't want you to face the hardship and the dismissive attitudes that he ran into later because of his lack of a degree. (Not that it much mattered to the other Drs. that worked alongside him )..... but in the outside world .... his not having that degree was a great disadvantage. He was a caring person and I think, didn't want to see that in your future.

And, as you will see when you read on with Pauls work, there were other reasons that he felt that you might end up "spinning your wheels" by trying to "follow in his footsteps" ..... Paul will tell you .... trying to follow Dr. Browns footsteps is not easy because ..... they have a habit of just ..... disappearing ..........

The fact that you are still interested in the field speaks volumes for your perserverance. I'm pleased to have your company on this trail. Elizabeth
Mark Culpepper
The Dean

Virginia contingent

Post by Mark Culpepper »

Hello Mark,

Since my name is Mark too ..... I will try to designate myself as Mark C

So you are from Virginia too? I think that Paul has a Virginia contingent going here without realizing it. Not asking particulars .... just in generalities .... I believe Angela is out of Richmond, I am closer to Warrenton .... and you?

Others here know that I am a retired school teacher and the reason I got involved in this story was the little bit of fascinating information that Linda Brown had gone to some 48 different schools before her senior year in High School.

I think later on in his life Dr. Brown (and note here that all of us KNOW he never got that Drs. degree) might have appreciated how difficult that was for her and so when another student knocked on his door, and made noises about continuing that path .... (and none of us know yet REALLY KNOW how complicated that path might have been) ...... He probably was quite interested in seeing you continue with a more conventional plan for your life.

My thoughts anyway but it is interesting to me that the regard and respect that he had for your intellect showed through. It would have been easy for him to just ignore those letters, but for some reason he found them compelling enough to answer. And here is the odd thing ..... you are still in the field ... and you have joined us here. That just really feels odd to me. Almost preset, if that could be. Watch out, going mystical on you! Mark C.
Angela Bloomstrum
Space Cadet

Virginia Hello

Post by Angela Bloomstrum »

Right! Angela here .........

Mark. Did you say at one time that you wanted to write a book about Townsend Brown?. So taken from the perspective of wanting to do that in the past ...... How is Paul doing now, do you think? Has anything surprised you yet about Townsend Browns life? Is it what you thought a rendition of his life might be like?

Have any of you noticed an oddity about Townsend Brown (And Linda Brown for that matter also) ..... they both seem to know where they are going next. Pay some attention to the conversation in Chapter 14 "Can We Talk For Awhile?" where Morgan and Linda talk about their "visions" for the future.
Linda goes on to describe riding horseback past some "strange gnarled trees" ...... makes the comment that her art instructor has said that no such trees existed ..... but did she finally see that "scene? Paul hasn't said yet if she had anything to do with horses while she was in California but I know from experience that California has such trees. They call them "scrub oaks". So do you think that she was "seeing the future"?

And none of us have figured Morgan out yet but did his vision come true too?

I'm off the track a little here, which is decidedly normal for me! Just meaning to say Mark that I think Dr. Brown knew when he talked with you that you would hang in there and contribute in some way in the future. He knew because he could see ahead. Strange things like that can happen in a universe that is not totally understood. Just ask bright colored leaping fish! Angela
MARK MOODY
Space Cadet

ME AND TOWNSEND BROWN'S LETTERS

Post by MARK MOODY »

I, Mark Moody, currently reside in Fredericksburg Virginia.
For those who remember, soteria.com/brown had a section dedicated to letters. My letters to Mr. Brown were writtten between 1981-1985.
I for one appreciate the time he gave me through correspondence.
No, he did not have to write me back, but since he did, I feel honored that he did take the time. As for the book I wanted to write while I was around 18 years old, I always thought that if it was well written, that perhaps it might even become a movie, like the movie BEAUTIFUL MIND.
As for the book being written currently, I would suggest that nothing be left out, no matter how crazy it may seem. After all, remember, that Brown's work may have been taken over by the government, and they surely would want us to believe the wrong things.
Anyway, I feel compelled to do something with this work, almost destined you might say.
Remember, discovery is seeing what others see but seeing it differently.
I hope this helps to answer all questions. If not, please respond back and I promise to do what I can, Who knows, maybe this can become a movie?
Mark
Chris Knight
Keeper of the Flame

Old Soteria site

Post by Chris Knight »

Hi Mark,

Of course, I remember you as well. My name is Andrew, and I began soteria.com some years ago (which included your letters I had retrieved from Townsend Brown's files in 1987).

I took the letters off a few years ago at Paul's request - we agreed that Paul would take over the historical aspects of Townsend's life, and I would focus on the technological aspects.

I am now associated with a group of various people, and we just recently reorganized into Qualight, L.L.C. on soteria.com (also qualight.com). I have been able to expand the amount of information on the site significantly since then.

You and I do have something in common. I read Moore's Philly Experiment in the fall of 1985, and also found an address in the Who's Who. I wrote to him in Avalon (not knowing I had missed him by a year), and eventually ended up where we are today.

An additional note to all regarding Moore is that whatever our differences in viewpoints have been over the years, he has (completely) left that part of his life behind him now and is semi-retired. I understand that he is happier now that he has ever been. Whatever his agenda was (a self-proclaimed disinformation expert, or whatever), it is obvious that his writings have made some difference, at least in our circle. Perhaps it is time we bury our differences, and we can be the better for it.

This applies to Moore only, and does NOT let Vassilitos (note to Victoria) or any other "researcher" off the hook. You're all still accountable...so be ready to back up your statements :shock:

Andrew
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

no such thing

Post by Victoria Steele »

Hey Andrew. I am so glad that Moore is semi retired and happy. We all strive for that.

But that doesn't give him a "get out of jail free " ticket regarding his responsibilities to his reading public. I for one just got a little angry with him for leading us all around in circles.(for years) Nice of him to "retire" into oblivion. Thats fine. As I said before I doubt now that there is anything he might have to say that anyone might be interested in anymore. At least I am not interested anymore. So I hope he enjoys his peaceful retirement.

Did he contact you to tell you all this? Just wondered how you knew his status? I would have thought that if he wanted to contact anyone about Townsend Brown and his part in putting "disinformation" out there it might have been easier just to tap into the forum.

Andrew, you seem quite willing to let bygones be bygones ... (a good way to be.) I guess I just have to learn to adopt that attitude after being intellectually insulted. Victoria
Chris Knight
Keeper of the Flame

Post by Chris Knight »

Victoria,

I know how you feel, and your view is absolutely valid. I too get so angry at people who have misled or cheated others, and it's a hard thing to get over. I was talking with Linda Brown a few days ago, and she was saying basically the same thing - does he really have anything to say now that I would be interested in hearing? Of course, she has an entirely different set of reasons to be angry with him.

I think I'm feeling that I can't change what has been said and done before me (when was the book written? 1977 or so?), but I can sure nail anyone who tries to pass off disinformation or be dishonest again (and believe me, I take a lot of pleasure in exposing frauds). Plus, we have an informal group here that I feel can really challenge anyone making any grandious statements, and I appreciate that.

Andrew
MARK MOODY
Space Cadet

MOORE & TOWNSEND BROWN

Post by MARK MOODY »

Nice forum, nice people, nice replies.
I must have missed something awhile back though.
Even though I have no idea about what Moore did or said,
and I don't care to know if he was telling lies,
I for one can honestly say forgive & forget.
Afterall, believe it or not, if it were not for Moore's book the philly experiment, I never would have heard of Mr. Brown and probably would not have discovered him as early as I did.
Can you imagine those of us who were blessed to have known him,
not knowing about Mr. Brown until after he passed away?
What a lost opportunity that would have been!
I did not know till later that Mr. Brown passed away in the eighties.
But I sure was happy to have known this great man.
So, for me, Moore served some purpose afterall.
You guys are great. I love this forum.
Now, about making a movie about Mr. Brown,
I have some great ideas.
Mark
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

you are right

MARK,

You are right ,of course, and I should adjust my attitude.

I probably wouldn't have heard about Dr. Brown if it hadn't been for Moores "The Philadelphia Experiment" either ..... (and conversely I believe .... not that many people would have looked at Moores book without that chapter on "The Force Fields of Townsend Brown" included in it.)

(I believe that there must be a whole story about how that particular chapter ended up in the book .... it was written by Moore BEFORE the main body of the book and just included to (I believe) lend credibility to a rumor that was like the mist otherwise .... but thats something we can all talk about later.(and will too ... I may be less angry with him, and more appreciative ... but he still needs to tell us more of the truth in this story.)

For whatever Moores reasons in including that chapter (and by doing so ..... pulling Dr. Brown into that circle )..... I guess I should join the rest of you and thank William Moore for at least maintaining the awareness of Townsend Browns name.

Good to have you on board too Mark, and I agree with you about a movie. I believe I have seen movies in almost every chapter. Multimovies ... and this Thursday isn't even here yet! (If you are new to that ... Pauls schedule is that he has promised to TRY to get out a chapter a week, coming out on Thursdays. You will note that I hang on a fence, waiting like some kind of vulture for that additional piece. Just a little bit of writer encouragement!

but isn't it nice that there are more of us ... just waiting. After he finishes the book we can all start bugging about a movie, I agree. Victoria
Elizabeth Helen Drake
Sr. Research Asst.

Chapter on Townsend Brown

Post by Elizabeth Helen Drake »

You are right of course Victoria. Here is quite an oddity. WHY DID Moore just include that previously written chapter in the middle of his Philadelphia Experiment book?

I don't have the particulars directly in front of me, maybe you can back me up here Paul, but I do recall that the chapter entitled "The Force Fields of Townsend Brown" were previously a published article ...

so I join with you Victoria in pondering ..... Why did Moore choose to include that chapter? Did it just act as interesting "filler"? Or were there other reasons?

Thanks Victoria. Anybody else have comments? Elizabeth
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: you are right

Post by Paul S. »

Victoria Steele wrote:
(I believe that there must be a whole story about how that particular chapter ended up in the book
Actually, Moore himself tells the story of how that chapter on Brown wound up in his book, later in the same book. In Chapter 11, "The Reality of the Impossible," (page #s differ from harcover to paperback), Moore describes how he slipped that chapter by a "scientist known to have been heavily involved in the Navy's degussing efforts..."

The 'draft manuscript' contained a 'planted paragraph.." Moore then says "the object of this ruse... was to observe this man's reaction to the planted material...."

I'm not going to recite the entire passage here, but I will add that the curious thing to me has always been that the anonymous "scientist" mentioned in Chapter 11 is in fact the same Townsend Brown mentioned previously in the same volume. I never quite got why he was anonymously referred to in later chapter after being mentioned by name earlier.

I could be speaking out of turn here, but I think it's fair to say also that I think this whole "ruse" as Moore himself puts is just one reason why there is no love lost between the Brown family and Wm. L. Moore.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

I remember

Paul and others,

I remember that section of The Philadelphia Experiment .... how Moore said he had left a paragragh in as a "test" to see how "the scientist" would answer during his "proofreading". When the scientist answered that Moores statements were "substantially correct" Moore decided that the man ... since he hadn't objected to the planted section .... was indeed a member of a secret project and that his ruse had worked and he had "tricked" this man into ....( by omission of a correction) ..... admitting that such a project existed and he was part of it.

Did I just lose everybody just then?

So are we back to the same question still. Now we know HOW he included Townsend Brown into his work ..... the question still remains .....WHY?

And you said that Linda Brown was upset. Let me see .... if a writer "tricked" my elderly father into "admitting" something he did not mean to admit ....... just to be able to include it in a book ...... Yeah, I'd be upset too. I can understand. Victoria
Victoria Steele
Mysterious Redhead

another thought

Paul,

I am realizing that there are alot more legs to this story (Moore/ Force Fields of Townsend Brown) and that it does not really belong in this section devoted to folks who have corresponded with Dr. Brown and who should be able to talk about that.

So can we have a special Post where we can talk more about maybe the motives involved .... and the results .... of Dr. Brown being included in The Philadelphia Experiment? I have a feeling that there is much more to say and that the topic is going to go un-noticed in the spot it is now. So can we have another spot .... or "pool" as Elizabeth likes to say. Its going to get crowded in this one I think. I'm looking for my copy of TPX because I have even more to say .... need pool! Victoria
Paul S.
Sr. Rabbit Chaser

Re: another thought

Post by Paul S. »

Victoria Steele wrote: So can we have a special Post where we can talk more about maybe the motives involved .... and the results .... of Dr. Brown being included in The Philadelphia Experiment?
How about a topic on "Townsend Brown in the Media" or something to that effect? I really don't want to glorify "TPX" by giving it it's own topic.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin
aka "The Perfesser"
"At some point we have to deal with the facts, not what we want to believe is true." -- Jack Bauer